Unicode & Delphi

Does any plans to base Delphi on Unicode in near future?
For example, most database today have natively unicode capabilities, and
working with him through standard DB components is not so happy solution.
They exists few good third party components, which correct this problem very
well (even free one)...
In general, not only DB components unicode support is reqiured - that is
necessary for all text based components. And that problem lie in the core
of Delphi, and no one component will entirely correct the problem, except
Borland's designers himself...
This feature is essential for peoples in non-English areas, like myself.
Regards,
Sasa

Re:Unicode & Delphi

Does any plans to base Delphi on Unicode in near future?
I was expecting this to happen in Delphi 7.... then I was hoping that Delphi
for Win32 in Octane
will be unicode to be compatible with .NET VCL ... Now it will be released
separately (it's still not certain if there will be any new Delphi for
win32) and I am wondering if unicode VCL will be there.
I never used any functionality that wasn't already in Delphi 5 (except
Intraweb, but that one we bought separately before it came bundled with
Delphi 7). So the only missing piece for me is the unicode. If they release
a new version of Delphi with unicode VCL, I do not need any other newer
version and Borland can leave the enhancements to 3rd parties and Delphi can
live its happy live for many years. And for enterprise and new stuff there
will be .NET version.
There are some options like Troy's components and Elpack (which I am using),
but I expect this in the delphi core. I want to use some 3rd party VCLs
which have no unicode counterparts (like TChart or QuantumGrid). And when I
am asking them, they say it is Borlands fault not theirs...
Because the application I am developing is a client-server, I started to
develop server using C#.NET, but for a client I want to use Delphi. If the
situation with Delphi will not change soon, I will look for other solution
(but I'd rather stick to Delphi).
You can still live quite well with ANSI VCL if application uses only one
language. But if you need to show multilingual strings at the same time and
you have to deal with asian languages, arabic and some really {*word*118}
alphabeths for example Deseret, then you need unicode.
For those wondering what kind of application may need that - I am making a
coin cataloging software where all inscriptions and other data can be in
different languages. Using Firebird database and .NET at the moment to fill
the data on server side. And I need small and fast client written in
Delphi...

Re:Unicode & Delphi

Hi everybody,
Sadly, there is still no word from Borland whether to update the
Delphi core and VCL to be fully Unicode complaint, right?
Even if Borland decided "No", I hope they would tell the developers
about the decision instead of letting them wait forever.
IMO, the TnT pack (never tried ElPack...) solved a lot of problems,
but there are too much to overcome if a complete Unicode-complaint app
has to be developed considering the effectiveness of developing in
Delphi.
P.S. I am new here, so if I do anything wrong please let me know,
thanks!
"Ivan Rakyta" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...