Icon previewer

2006-04-04 08:34:00 PM
delphi97
Does anyone have any recommendations for Icon Previewers?
I'm currently using "Scott's Glyph Viewer", but it has some issues that
make it painful. It is though good in that it will give you a screenfull.
My ideal would have some sort of categorisation, and know about the common
icon collections and their sizes so I could say "show me icons that I have
both 16x16 and 24x24" for example. But gathering a list of potential tools
would be good. Any suggestions?
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Icon previewer

I've been looking for one for some time
.... sort of impressed with
www.iconcool.com/icon-library-manager.htm
...... maybe
cheers
Ron

Re:Icon previewer

That looks nice, but doesn't answer the reason Scot wrote his:
www.torry.net/authorsmore.php
"Scot's Glyph Viewer is a simple app I wrote after searching for hours for
an app that would let me look at all my glyphs at once. Simple as this
idea is, all the viewers I found would only show 20 or so at a time."
What I want is a cross between the two I think. Having a screen full of
icons is a big benefit.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Icon previewer

Matthew,
Does anyone have any recommendations for Icon Previewers?
I don't know what kind of price tag you are looking for or willing to deal
with, but ACDSee does this and a whole lot more. You can find it at
www.acdsystems.com. I have been using it for years and highly
recommend it.
--
Regards,
Rich Ackerson

Re:Icon previewer

It looks great for photos, but how good is it for icons? Have you labelled
all of your icons? It looks like there won't be many to a screen.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Icon previewer

It looks great for photos, but how good is it for icons? Have you
labelled all of your icons? It looks like there won't be many to a
screen.

True, pictures ARE its strong point, but it handles numerous graphic types,
ICO included. See the screenshot at www.ackerson.net\capture.png for a
sample of a list of my development icons from GlyFx. The main viewer shows
32 icons in my sample but the display size of each in ACDSee is adjustable.
You can make the thumbnails as large or small as you like to see more/less
images at a time.
--
Regards,
Rich Ackerson

Re:Icon previewer

Matthew,
| Any suggestions?
I use IconForge.
While it isn't quite what I think you are looking for, it does show the
small icon in its filenames list.
04/04/2006 12:04:26
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re:Icon previewer

Compare against a grab of Scotts, and how many you can see. For the sake
of the icon suppliers, I have made it greyscale and blurred.
This image will be deleted in a week or so.
www.matthew-jones.com/iconshow.jpg
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Icon previewer

Different type of product. I use ArtIcons Pro for icon manipulation, but
the tool I seek is one to help find the right icon out of the hundreds I
have. Sort of a "show me everything to do with 'action'".
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Icon previewer

I use this one www.glyfz.com/dloads/gvsetup.exe.
--
Andr?Prins
Twain Development

Re:Icon previewer

Matthew,
I made another screenshot of ACDSee - this time adjusting the view mode
to Icon rather than Thumbnails. I am not sure what resolution you are
using but my screen is 1280x1024. The best I seem to be able to get is
in the new screenshot at www.ackerson.net/capture1.png.
Like you, I made this shot greyscaled and blurred (my apoligies to David
Ridgeway of GlyFx for my earlier, non-protected, screenshot. It has been
removed).
It looks like Scott's icon previewer will show you more icons.
Good luck in your search. Please post back with whatever you decide
upon.
--
Regards,
Rich Ackerson

Re:Icon previewer

I use this one www.glyfz.com/dloads/gvsetup.exe.

Unless I am doing something REALLY WRONG, this does not appear to support
ICO files. Works good for BMPs though.
--
Regards,
Rich Ackerson

Re:Icon previewer

It's not bad, but it isn't as good as Scot's.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Icon previewer

That display is still a fair number if the filtering can be done sensibly.
I'll keep it in mind.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Icon previewer

Matthew Jones writes:
Does anyone have any recommendations for Icon Previewers?
I'm currently using "Scott's Glyph Viewer", but it has some issues that
make it painful. It is though good in that it will give you a screenfull.

My ideal would have some sort of categorisation, and know about the common
icon collections and their sizes so I could say "show me icons that I have
both 16x16 and 24x24" for example. But gathering a list of potential tools
would be good. Any suggestions?

/Matthew Jones/
Look no further than Picto from
www.scip.be/index.php
I've been using it and its great for bitmaps, icons, jpegs etc. and
there is a simple editor and convertor so you can convert from one to
the other as create TImage, TImageList, TSpeedButton etc so you can
directly paste it into Delphi. It will also extract icons from .exe
files and resource files. it is written in Delphi of course. :)
The price is right too. Registration is only $15.
Sam

Re:Icon previewer

Rich Ackerson writes:
Unless I am doing something REALLY WRONG, this does not appear to support
ICO files.
It can't show icons, but from the formats (16x16) and (24x24) I guessed the OP needed a glyph viewer and not a icon viewer.
--
Andr?Prins
Twain Development