Will VBXs from 1.0 show up as OCXs in 2.0?

I was reading a first look article on Delphi 2.0 in  this weeks Infoworld
('Delphi 2.0 looks to be a great tool' by Robert A. DelRossi and S. Ryan),
and noted that ver 2.0 will not support VBX but will support OCXs.

Naturally the discussion on OCX support has been on this group for some
time, but I don't recall if the fact that VBX suppost will no longer be
available has been.

The question on my mind is, will Borland replace the VBX functions that
were included in ver. 1.0 with OCX functions in ver. 2.0 ?  Specifically,
I have written several aps that make heavy use of the ChartFX VBX.  I now
have some fears that a conversion to Delphi 2.0 might be a tough
process.  I realise that ChartFX is not in itself a Borland product, and
the originator of ChartFX will most likely produce the OCX, but then
we're into 'extra cost' items, and I have enough of those on my list as
is.

Anyone with some info on this ?

Doug

Doug Reinhart - KD4CTF
reinhart%v381.dec...@npt.nuwc.navy.mil (Project AUTEC, West Palm Beach FL)
reinh...@gate.net (personal, Port St. Lucie, FL)

Re:Will VBXs from 1.0 show up as OCXs in 2.0?

Friday December 08 1995 07:48, g...@gate.net wrote:

[note: changed the order of the original posting so suite my answer]

 gn> The question on my mind is, will Borland replace the VBX functions that
 gn> were included in ver. 1.0 with OCX functions in ver. 2.0 ?

Rule numer 1 for portability: Don't depend on platform specific features.

In case of Delphi, this means (among others):

 - don't rely on VBXs

 - don't rely on the implementation of Integers

 - don't rely on the implementation of Strings

 gn> I was reading a first look article on Delphi 2.0 in  this weeks Infoworld
 gn> ('Delphi 2.0 looks to be a great tool' by Robert A. DelRossi and S.
Ryan),
 gn> and noted that ver 2.0 will not support VBX but will support OCXs.

According to Microsoft, VBXs can not be used by 32-bit programs. Borland showed
that is *is* technically possible in Borland C++, however, there are too many
VBXs where this does not always work right. So, Delphi will not contain 32-bit
VBX support.

 gn> Specifically, I have written several aps that make heavy use of
 gn> the ChartFX VBX.  I now have some fears that a conversion to Delphi
 gn> 2.0 might be a tough process.

In general, VBX vendors try to create OCXs that match their VBXs as much as
possible. However, they also have learned from their VBXs so they might improve
an OCX in a way that is not fully compatible with the corresponding VBX.

The same holds in a more general way for each development tool. Some examples
of quite large changes:

 - Delphi VCL versus TPW/BPW OWL
 - OLE 1.0 versus OLE 2.0
 - OWL 1.0 versus OWL 2.0
 - MFC 1.0 versus MFC 2.0

For OWL and MFX, conversion tools have been written. Hopefully, VBX vendors
will give conversion tables to facilitate the migration to OCX.

Jeroen

Other Threads