Child form doesn't inherit changes to parent form

Hi,

Like the subject says, I have a form that inherits from another form and
when I make changes to the parent the changes aren't reflected in the
child.  Any ideas as to what might be causing this?  I have another form
that is descended from the same parent and it inherits changes without
problems.

--
Will Garces
wlgar...@mail.uccs.edu

Re:Child form doesn't inherit changes to parent form

In article <55ru18...@harpo.uccs.edu> wlgar...@elvis.UCCS.edu (William L. Garces) writes:

>From: wlgar...@elvis.UCCS.edu (William L. Garces)
>Subject: Child form doesn't inherit changes to parent form
>Date: 7 Nov 1996 06:02:16 GMT
>Hi,
>Like the subject says, I have a form that inherits from another form and
>when I make changes to the parent the changes aren't reflected in the
>child.  Any ideas as to what might be causing this?  I have another form
>that is descended from the same parent and it inherits changes without
>problems.
>--
>Will Garces
>wlgar...@mail.uccs.edu

First, make sure you actually inherited it rather than accidentally chosing
copy (you can chack the class efinition of the dedcendant form to confirm
i.e. should be
Type
  TdescendantFormClassName = class(TAncestorFormClassName)
and NOT
  TdescendantFormClassName = class(TForm)

if it IS a descendant than note that any property that you have changed on the
descendant will NOT inherit changes to the anscestor (since it is now
overidden). You can reverse this situation by right clicking on an object and
choose "revert to inherited"

Re:Child form doesn't inherit changes to parent form

On 7 Nov 1996 06:02:16 GMT, wlgar...@elvis.UCCS.edu (William L.

Garces) wrote:
>Like the subject says, I have a form that inherits from another form and
>when I make changes to the parent the changes aren't reflected in the
>child.  Any ideas as to what might be causing this?  I have another form
>that is descended from the same parent and it inherits changes without
>problems.

Once you change a property in the child form, the child keeps it
changes, regardless of changes to the parent. To revert the child to
the parent's property, choose Revert to Inherited from the context
(right-click) menu in the Object Inspector.
--
Ray Lischner, Tempest Software, Inc., Corvallis, Oregon, USA
Author of Secrets of Delphi 2 (http://www.tempest-sw.com/secrets/)

Other Threads