ListView Columns not showing Hints

Hi All,
  In Explorer, or Navigator for that matter, when you resize a column on
( what looks like )a ListView so that part of the text in the ListView
is
not showing and you move the mouse over that text a hint pops up
showing
the full text.
Delphi's ListView does not appear to support this or am I missing
something really simple here. If it doesn't, does anyone know what
Windows API calls I need in order to get this functionality or will I
have to Create a descendant ListView and override the MouseMove event?

Thanks in advance,

Dominique Louis
Delphi Developer and aspiring Delphi Game Developer when wife and son
permit.
** Punching the Monitor Hurts You more than Microsoft **
** -------------------Jim Williams------------------- **

Re:ListView Columns not showing Hints

>Dominique Louis wrote:

>..so that part of the text in the ListView is not showing and you move >the mouse over that text a hint pops up showing the full text.

There are lots of approaches, most of them involving more work than you
might have imagined, as you will have to derive new components with this
feature. Most helpful is an article of Brian Long in DelphiMag covering
the issue. Go to
  www.itecuk.com/index.html
and download the companion disk issue #43. In the zip file you'll find a
folder "tooltips", with working code for sample components included.

Another good source is loading down "longlist.zip" (I got it from either
DSP or Torry's), equally with source code.

On the API side you might want to look at
  CM_HINTSHOW (can send you a code snippet if you want)
There is also a new API call
  TTM_ADJUSTRECT (needs the dreaded comctl32.dll, ver 5.00+)
Have not been able to try it as I'm on NT 4.0 (will work from 5.0 on
only). Don't know if you can use it under Win95/98.

You see I have made my homework on the subject.  ;-)

_________
Andreas

Andreas Pawlik wrote:

> >Dominique Louis wrote:

> >..so that part of the text in the ListView is not showing and you move >the mouse over that text a hint pops up showing the full text.

> There are lots of approaches, most of them involving more work than you
> might have imagined, as you will have to derive new components with this
> feature. Most helpful is an article of Brian Long in DelphiMag covering
> the issue. Go to
>   www.itecuk.com/index.html
> and download the companion disk issue #43. In the zip file you'll find a
> folder "tooltips", with working code for sample components included.

> Another good source is loading down "longlist.zip" (I got it from either
> DSP or Torry's), equally with source code.

> On the API side you might want to look at
>   CM_HINTSHOW (can send you a code snippet if you want)
> There is also a new API call
>   TTM_ADJUSTRECT (needs the dreaded comctl32.dll, ver 5.00+)
> Have not been able to try it as I'm on NT 4.0 (will work from 5.0 on
> only). Don't know if you can use it under Win95/98.

> You see I have made my homework on the subject.  ;-)

You certainly have. Thanks a lot Andreas, the Delphi Mag examples were
very interesting.
I couldn't find any information on CM_HINTSHOW or TTM_ADJUSTRECT so if
you are able to send me information on these it would be great.

Ciao

http://www.SavageSooftware.com.au/delphi/