Installing Components?

Normally when I install components I unzip the whole thing into a
custom directory and install from there.

What specific files do I need to install a component?

I know .pas is one of them are there any others?

What is the best way to organize this?  I'm using a separate directory
from the native components.

Thanks.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
" Oh friends, be men and let your hearts be strong,
and let no warrior in the heat of fight do what may
bring him shame in other's eyes; For more of those who
shrink from shame are safe than fall in battle, while those
who flee is neither glory nor reprieve from death "

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Re:Installing Components?

redl...@infi.net (Vincent Taijeron) wrote:
>Normally when I install components I unzip the whole thing into a
>custom directory and install from there.
>What specific files do I need to install a component?
>I know .pas is one of them are there any others?
>What is the best way to organize this?  I'm using a separate directory
>from the native components.

Using a separate directory is a good idea.  You need .pas if you have
source code.  You can install a compiled comp using .dcu.

 I keep all my downloaded components together and I keep track of
which modules correspond to which components -- if you forget to
include a component's source/module file, when installing new
components,  the error message says a certain comp is missing.  The
next thing you need to do is remember which module the component was
in...

Thanks to the component writers that include a text  file describing
the component .  It is great when comp.pas has a comp.wri with it!

Karl

Re:Installing Components?

Vincent Taijeron wrote:

> Normally when I install components I unzip the whole thing into a
> custom directory and install from there.

> What specific files do I need to install a component?

> I know .pas is one of them are there any others?

> What is the best way to organize this?  I'm using a separate directory
> from the native components.

> Thanks.

Hey dude!  You're doing the right thing. Just ensure that you have the .PAS & .DCR files
           OR the .DCU files.

        I've encountered a problem with Delphi's IDE, in that it complains bitterly when some
        components are installed, with the strange error 'Cant find complib.dcr' (or something)
        if this happens, uninstall the component, and the rebuild the library. This seems to
        reset that problem.

        Finally - ensure that any components that you download are correct - ie. 16-bit for Delphi 1, and
                        32-bit for Delphi 2.   The two types are not mutually interchangable.

Other Threads