Board index » delphi » Need BDE Replacement - Recommendations?

Need BDE Replacement - Recommendations?

Hi Everyone,
I am going to be writing a small application that needs a local database
where I can store data.  It's going to (hopefully) be a small app, with
modest database requirements, so I am loathe to distribute a 1MB app with
6MB of database support.
It looks like the BDE is out, and so is the ADO/D5 option - both are too
big.

I've looked at Topaz, and it seems like a fine product, but I'd really
rather be able to use SQL statements and not have to learn dBase.  Also, I
need to be able to insert rows programatically, without going through a
visual control (it's going to be logging things in the background).  Topaz
can do this, I'm told, but there is no doc available inthe eval version,
which is preventing me from being able to evaluate it, so... I'm looking for
other options.

So, is there something available that's nice and small like Topaz (1MB
distribution or less), but supports SQL, is well documented, supports the
existing Borland data controls (grid, edit box, etc.) and supports
non-visual operations?

By non-visual operations, I mean having the ability to fire off an "insert
into emp (lname, fname, empno) values ("smith", "john", 12345);" statement
without having to display the info on a form.

Many thanks for any help.
--
   Chris Thornton, President Thornsoft Development
   http://www.thornsoft.com
   Member of Association of Shareware Professionals [ASP]
   mailto: chris at thornsoft dot com

 

Re:Need BDE Replacement - Recommendations?


http://www.elevatesoft.com/overview.htm
http://www.sequiter.com/products/cbase6.htm

Re:Need BDE Replacement - Recommendations?


Excellent!  This is exactly what I'm looking for.

--
   Chris Thornton, President Thornsoft Development
   http://www.thornsoft.com
   Member of Association of Shareware Professionals [ASP]
   mailto: chris at thornsoft dot com

Quote
JohnDoc <j...@jd.jd> wrote in message news:7qe82t$859$1@soap.pipex.net...
> http://www.elevatesoft.com/overview.htm
> http://www.sequiter.com/products/cbase6.htm

Re:Need BDE Replacement - Recommendations?


dbISAM.

Small, fast, SQL.

Great product, great support (and no, I don't work for the dbISAM company
;-) .

Quote
Chris Thornton <ch...@thornsoft.com> wrote in message

news:f2wy3.2725$v6.152703@typhoon.nyroc.rr.com...
Quote
> Hi Everyone,
> I am going to be writing a small application that needs a local database
> where I can store data.  It's going to (hopefully) be a small app, with
> modest database requirements, so I am loathe to distribute a 1MB app with
> 6MB of database support.
> It looks like the BDE is out, and so is the ADO/D5 option - both are too
> big.

> I've looked at Topaz, and it seems like a fine product, but I'd really
> rather be able to use SQL statements and not have to learn dBase.  Also, I
> need to be able to insert rows programatically, without going through a
> visual control (it's going to be logging things in the background).  Topaz
> can do this, I'm told, but there is no doc available inthe eval version,
> which is preventing me from being able to evaluate it, so... I'm looking
for
> other options.

> So, is there something available that's nice and small like Topaz (1MB
> distribution or less), but supports SQL, is well documented, supports the
> existing Borland data controls (grid, edit box, etc.) and supports
> non-visual operations?

> By non-visual operations, I mean having the ability to fire off an "insert
> into emp (lname, fname, empno) values ("smith", "john", 12345);" statement
> without having to display the info on a form.

> Many thanks for any help.
> --
>    Chris Thornton, President Thornsoft Development
>    http://www.thornsoft.com
>    Member of Association of Shareware Professionals [ASP]
>    mailto: chris at thornsoft dot com

Re:Need BDE Replacement - Recommendations?


Quote
Anthony Taylor <anthony.tay...@home.com> wrote in message news:bP7z3.10
> dbISAM.
> Small, fast, SQL.
> Great product, great support (and no, I don't work for the dbISAM company
> ;-) .

Thanks everyone who recommended this - it's excellent, and I bought it a few
days ago.
Chris

Other Threads