Too many directories created with BDE and Install Shield Express

Please point me in the right direction if this is not the correct newsgroup.
I am using BDE and Install shield express, as supplied with Delphi 6

On my pc I have a directory with an exe and several sub directories with
data in .dbf tables.  I have BDE aliases to each of these data directories.
I need to move the data to a server.
I have set up an Install shield project to load my program and set aliases
to the server directories.
When tested on another pc it does this, keeping one directory 'local' as
requested, but it also adds (empty) directories on the local machine for
each of the aliases.
These are in the same relative, but not actual, position to the exe as on my
pc.
I cannot find any reference to these directories in my installation project
or the dbe .ini file created.
I deleted them, re-installed and they reappeared.

Any help would be appreciated - it has to go to the client on Monday!

Sylvia

Re:Too many directories created with BDE and Install Shield Express

[...]

As far as I know, setting up BDE aliases using InstallShield Express doesn't
create any directories anywhere for you.  If you want directories created
for your data files, you do this yourself in InstallShield as something
separate from setting up the BDE and aliases.  When you install your
software, what is the install location you are choosing?  When you specifiy
the target location of the files/directories in your install, are they
relative to this install location?  And if so, are you choosing the server
as the install location?  I don't know of a way with InstallShield Express
to have it copy files/dirs to the server if the user selects a path on their
local machine for the install location.  What I typically do is have the
user choose an install location on the server, and that's where all of the
data and app files go (ie relative to <InstallDir>).  Any files that need to
be local should be installed relative to <WinSysDir> or <ProgramFilesDir>,
NOT <InstallDir>.   But this also means that with each install, the user has
to make sure they're using the same target on the server with each client
workstation they install.

"Sylvia" <syl...@streatley.co.uk> wrote in message news:3d2422f2_1@dnews...
> [...]

> I need to move the data to a server.
> I have set up an Install shield project to load my program and set aliases
> to the server directories.
> When tested on another pc it does this, keeping one directory 'local' as
> requested, but it also adds (empty) directories on the local machine for
> each of the aliases.
> These are in the same relative, but not actual, position to the exe as on
my
> pc.
> I cannot find any reference to these directories in my installation
project
> or the dbe .ini file created.
> I deleted them, re-installed and they reappeared.

> Any help would be appreciated - it has to go to the client on Monday!

> Sylvia

Re:Too many directories created with BDE and Install Shield Express

Thanks for replying

My InstallDir is [Program Files Folder]\CompanyName\ProductName
DatabasDir [InstallDir]\LocalTables
The exe and 'LocalTables' dir are relative to InstallDir

The install is to set up a new work station so I am not trying to get it to
put data onto the server.
I want the exe and \LocalTables locally and to create aliases which point to
the server (pre-existing) data directories.

It is doing all this OK but also, locally and relative to InstallDir, it
gives me directories with the same names as for the server data.
They are on my pc in the same relative position to the exe but,except for
\LocalTables, I haven't explicitly asked for them to be included.
Sylvia

> > Please point me in the right direction if this is not the correct
> newsgroup.
> > I am using BDE and Install shield express, as supplied with Delphi 6

> > On my pc I have a directory with an exe and several sub directories with
> > data in .dbf tables.  I have BDE aliases to each of these data
> directories.
> > I need to move the data to a server.
> > I have set up an Install shield project to load my program and set
aliases
> > to the server directories.
> > When tested on another pc it does this, keeping one directory 'local' as
> > requested, but it also adds (empty) directories on the local machine for
> > each of the aliases.
> > These are in the same relative, but not actual, position to the exe as
on
> my
> > pc.
> > I cannot find any reference to these directories in my installation
> project
> > or the dbe .ini file created.
> > I deleted them, re-installed and they reappeared.

> > Any help would be appreciated - it has to go to the client on Monday!

> > Sylvia

Re:Too many directories created with BDE and Install Shield Express

Are there any files appearing in the 'extra' directories on your
workstation, or is the install just creating the directories without putting
any files one them?

And can I ask how you are specifying the server directories for your
aliases?  Are you hard coding them (for example F:\Shared\Data\...)?  With
InstallShield Express (at least the version that ships w/ D5) you have no
way of dynamically choosing a server location, if your install allows the
user to set the workstation location.

Chris

"Sylvia" <syl...@streatley.co.uk> wrote in message news:3d25690b_1@dnews...
> [...]

> aliases
> > > to the server directories.
> > > When tested on another pc it does this, keeping one directory 'local'
as
> > > requested, but it also adds (empty) directories on the local machine
for
> > > each of the aliases.
> > > These are in the same relative, but not actual, position to the exe as
> on
> > my
> > > pc.
> > > I cannot find any reference to these directories in my installation
> > project
> > > or the dbe .ini file created.
> > > I deleted them, re-installed and they reappeared.

> > > Any help would be appreciated - it has to go to the client on Monday!

> > > Sylvia

Re:Too many directories created with BDE and Install Shield Express

The install is creaing the directories with no files, except 'LocalTables'
for which I have specified a few files.
Server directories are specified as \\Servername\Sharename\...  as requested
by the client's IT department

> > Thanks for replying

> > My InstallDir is [Program Files Folder]\CompanyName\ProductName
> > DatabasDir [InstallDir]\LocalTables
> > The exe and 'LocalTables' dir are relative to InstallDir

> > The install is to set up a new work station so I am not trying to get it
> > put data onto the server.
> > I want the exe and \LocalTables locally and to create aliases which
point
> > the server (pre-existing) data directories.

> > It is doing all this OK but also, locally and relative to InstallDir, it
> > gives me directories with the same names as for the server data.
> > They are on my pc in the same relative position to the exe but,except
for
> > \LocalTables, I haven't explicitly asked for them to be included.
> > Sylvia

> > "Chris Pettingill" <ChrisPetting...@Compuserve.Com> wrote in message
> > > As far as I know, setting up BDE aliases using InstallShield Express
> > doesn't
> > > create any directories anywhere for you.  If you want directories
> created
> > > for your data files, you do this yourself in InstallShield as
something
> > > separate from setting up the BDE and aliases.  When you install your
> > > software, what is the install location you are choosing?  When you
> > specifiy
> > > the target location of the files/directories in your install, are they
> > > relative to this install location?  And if so, are you choosing the
> server
> > > as the install location?  I don't know of a way with InstallShield
> Express
> > > to have it copy files/dirs to the server if the user selects a path on
> > their
> > > local machine for the install location.  What I typically do is have
the
> > > user choose an install location on the server, and that's where all of
> the
> > > data and app files go (ie relative to <InstallDir>).  Any files that
> need
> > > be local should be installed relative to <WinSysDir> or
> <ProgramFilesDir>,
> > > NOT <InstallDir>.   But this also means that with each install, the
user
> > has
> > > to make sure they're using the same target on the server with each
> client
> > > workstation they install.

> > > "Sylvia" <syl...@streatley.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > newsgroup.