Linux/Netstat and IB 6.01

I have IB 6.01 installed on a Linux 7.2 platform.  ISQL and QLI are able
to access the demo tables.

When I read the Borland literature, I am lead to believe that with the
Classical installation, "netstat -a" should show that inetd process is
listening.  There is an entry in /etc/inetd.conf, but netstat -a does
show an entry.

Could this explain why I cannot access IB other than locally?

Todd

--
Todd Cary
Ariste Software

Re:Linux/Netstat and IB 6.01

netstat -a will show all listening ports.  I am not familiar with either IB
6.01 or Redhat 7.2, but we use Redhat 7.1 (with IB 5.6) and inetd was
replaced with xinetd which has different configuration files.  I would make
sure that inetd is installed and running on your system (ps -aex).

-steve

"Todd Cary" <t...@aristesoftware.com> wrote in message

> I have IB 6.01 installed on a Linux 7.2 platform.  ISQL and QLI are able
> to access the demo tables.

> When I read the Borland literature, I am lead to believe that with the
> Classical installation, "netstat -a" should show that inetd process is
> listening.  There is an entry in /etc/inetd.conf, but netstat -a does
> show an entry.

> Could this explain why I cannot access IB other than locally?

> Todd

> --
> Todd Cary
> Ariste Software
> t...@aristesoftware.com

Re:Linux/Netstat and IB 6.01

Is there a log that wiill tell me connections that are refused?

Todd

--
Todd Cary
Ariste Software

Re:Linux/Netstat and IB 6.01

If you have a firewall that is denying connections then look in
/var/log/messages.  If you are using some kind of tcp wrapper to put
security on a connection then look in /var/log/secure.  However, if you
don't have a firewall running and you cannot see the port listening for
connections, then there will not be a log of attempted connections for that
port.

> Is there a log that wiill tell me connections that are refused?

> Todd

> --
> Todd Cary
> Ariste Software
> t...@aristesoftware.com

Re:Linux/Netstat and IB 6.01

In article <3C1A9C17.1DB2...@aristesoftware.com>, "Todd Cary"

<t...@aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> When I read the Borland literature, I am lead to believe that with the
> Classical installation, "netstat -a" should show that inetd process is
> listening.  There is an entry in /etc/inetd.conf, but netstat -a does
> show an entry.

  Personally, I don't use inetd... I replaced it with Dan Bernstein's
tcpserver. (http://cr.yp.to) Inetd opens a port to the public, whereas
tcpserver allows you to specify the addresses which have access to the
port.

  Just a thought,  Eric.

Other Threads