Bug or am I stupid? (D5 + IB- Components)

I created a IB- Database on dedicated IB- Server- machine and i wrote  a
client program using Delphi IB- Components.

Sometimes i connect to DB and everything works fine.

in the next moment (no 5 mins later) i connct and i get a message
'invalid request handle', clicking away this msg, the program seems to work
fine, but some actions return messages like 'table xxx unknown' although
these tables do exist.

sometimes i get Errors like Accessviolation in gds32.dll.

i use IB5.6 with 5.6 client, all on WinNT4

did anybody of you experience problems like this ?
What am i doing wrong?

any help or suggestions welcome!

post answers here or send to mostrow...@bedruck.de

Re:Bug or am I stupid? (D5 + IB- Components)

This is a bug!

However not neceseraly a bug in Delphi, or the IB-Components for that
matter.

The IB-Components a nothing more than an encapsulation of the InterBase API.

I've found that the Interbase API leaves a lot to be desired.

A workaround is replacing your IB-Components with TBDEDatasets.

Although sometimes a pain in the ass the BDE handles Interbase connections
much more stable then the IB-Components.

We've tested te performance of the BDE vs IB-Components and it turned out,
much to our surprise that the BDE was a little bit quicker. The only
downside is you'll have to install the BDE as well.

Delphi Guru

"Matthias Ostrowski" <MOstrow...@bedruck.de> wrote in message

> I created a IB- Database on dedicated IB- Server- machine and i wrote  a
> client program using Delphi IB- Components.

> Sometimes i connect to DB and everything works fine.

> in the next moment (no 5 mins later) i connct and i get a message
> 'invalid request handle', clicking away this msg, the program seems to
work
> fine, but some actions return messages like 'table xxx unknown' although
> these tables do exist.

> sometimes i get Errors like Accessviolation in gds32.dll.

> i use IB5.6 with 5.6 client, all on WinNT4

> did anybody of you experience problems like this ?
> What am i doing wrong?

> any help or suggestions welcome!

> post answers here or send to mostrow...@bedruck.de

Other Threads