Creating a systray application

Hi,

I would like to create a system tray application (an application that does
not show up on the taskbar, that does not appear in the "alt-tab-list", but
that does have an icon in the system tray, like the clock, volume control
and certain videocard utilities).

Can somebody tell me how to go about this in Delphi (D3 Pro)?

A little background info:
I want this application to check if I have new mail; I'm now running
Internet Mail "minimized" and it will show an icon in the system tray if
there's new mail. However, I keep switching to Internet Mail accidentally
(one ALT-TAB too much) when I have more than a few programs active.

Thanks to Borland's SIMPMAIL example, I already know how to check for mail -
now I just want to have my app "out of the way, safely in the tray".

regards,

Patrick
--
http://www.multiweb.nl/~patrick

Re:Creating a systray application

In article <887353471.984...@nntpcache.support.nl>, Patrick Hudepohl
<patr...@dsebv.nl> scribbled :

>Can somebody tell me how to go about this in Delphi (D3 Pro)?

Get the RX VCL components (they're free), use RXTrayIcon, and then add
ASTray on top of that to prevent your app appearing in the task bar as
well as in the tray.

--

Re:Creating a systray application

James MacDonald wrote...
>In article <887353471.984...@nntpcache.support.nl>, Patrick Hudepohl
><patr...@dsebv.nl> scribbled :
>>Can somebody tell me how to go about this in Delphi (D3 Pro)?

>Get the RX VCL components (they're free), use RXTrayIcon, and then add
>ASTray on top of that to prevent your app appearing in the task bar as
>well as in the tray.

Thanks for the suggestion - and thanks to the others who replied by mail!
I got it working now, I cloned an example I found at
http://www.jlockwood.com.

bye,

Patrick.
--
Using Delphi at http://www.dsebv.nl
Using Nikon at  http://www.multiweb.nl/~patrick.

Re:Creating a systray application

Hello Patrick,

first get a component like TTrayIcon. That's the fastest way.
then set Application.ShowMainForm:=False. You must not set
Form.State:=WS_Minimized. As long as your apps window is invisible or
visible you can't see it in the taskbar.

Sven
S.Op...@Cardy.de

Patrick Hudepohl schrieb in Nachricht
<887353471.984...@nntpcache.support.nl>...

>Hi,

>I would like to create a system tray application (an application that does
>not show up on the taskbar, that does not appear in the "alt-tab-list", but
>that does have an icon in the system tray, like the clock, volume control
>and certain videocard utilities).

>Can somebody tell me how to go about this in Delphi (D3 Pro)?

>A little background info:
>I want this application to check if I have new mail; I'm now running
>Internet Mail "minimized" and it will show an icon in the system tray if
>there's new mail. However, I keep switching to Internet Mail accidentally
>(one ALT-TAB too much) when I have more than a few programs active.

>Thanks to Borland's SIMPMAIL example, I already know how to check for
mail -
>now I just want to have my app "out of the way, safely in the tray".

>regards,

>Patrick
>--
>http://www.multiweb.nl/~patrick