Board index » delphi » Ah - I am stuck - what does this memory error message mean ?

Ah - I am stuck - what does this memory error message mean ?

Hello All,

I have written a semi-functional prototype, which runs fine on this
machine (Win ME, P3).

I sent it down the wires to a friend to see if it would resize properly
etc on a different machine (Win XP).

However, when she tried to run it the message :

'Part of readprocessmemory or writeprocessmemory failed', is reported in
a big window and the thing wont run.

It is just a pile of non-functioning forms at the minute, can anyone
suggest why this may be.

My project uses frames (first time ever for me!) might that cause it ?

Thanks,

Liam Healy

 

Re:Ah - I am stuck - what does this memory error message mean ?


Oops,

Forgot to mention - I am using D6Pro.

Sorry about that.
Liam Healy

Re:Ah - I am stuck - what does this memory error message mean ?


Can you run it in a de{*word*81}?  Can you get a dump and analyze the dump to
see what it had been doing?  Can you create a log-file that will help you
trace through the program startup process?

Win-NT environments have much stricter rules about memory protection and,
as you may have surmised, those system-calls are one way to do
cross-memory services.  Does your compiled EXE or any of its packages (if
you use packages...) make those calls?

On the subject of packages ... does your friend have all of the ones you
need?  (Which is why I despise packages and don't use 'em.)

In article <olSpf2APFLj8E...@occpsy.demon.co.uk>, "L. Healy"

Quote
<L.He...@occpsy.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello All,

> I have written a semi-functional prototype, which runs fine on this
> machine (Win ME, P3).

> I sent it down the wires to a friend to see if it would resize properly
> etc on a different machine (Win XP).

> However, when she tried to run it the message :

> 'Part of readprocessmemory or writeprocessmemory failed', is reported in
> a big window and the thing wont run.

> It is just a pile of non-functioning forms at the minute, can anyone
> suggest why this may be.

> My project uses frames (first time ever for me!) might that cause it ?

> Thanks,

> Liam Healy

Re:Ah - I am stuck - what does this memory error message mean ?


In article <info-1103021039530...@slip-32-102-36-53.ca.us.prserv.net>,
Sundial Services International, Inc. <i...@sundialservices.com> writes

Thanks for the reply, whoever you may be at Sundial Services.

Quote
>Can you run it in a de{*word*81}?  

Nope. Not where it is - I can't exactly see what it is doing, this is a
2nd hand report - we are quite a way apart - I suppose a good trial!.

I complied it on this machine (WinME) and sent the compiled file to her
(WinXP). It worked here before I sent it.

Quote
>Can you get a dump and analyze the dump to
>see what it had been doing?  

Nope. Is it easy to do ?

Quote
>Can you create a log-file that will help you
>trace through the program startup process?

Don't know how to do that...

Quote

>Win-NT environments have much stricter rules about memory protection and,
>as you may have surmised, those system-calls are one way to do
>cross-memory services.  

...yes, it is to the office network where she works I sent it. Are there
any magic bullet lines of code I could use which would get round the
commonest problems ? The other simple applications I have written have
run fine on her XP system (she is my unofficial friendly tester).

Quote
>Does your compiled EXE or any of its packages (if
>you use packages...) make those calls?

How do I tell ? It is a simple application (like it's programmer, ahem),
at the moment all it does is create the forms it uses and does a bit of
integer variable allocation (generating a random number).

Quote

>On the subject of packages ... does your friend have all of the ones you
>need?  (Which is why I despise packages and don't use 'em.)

Does she need them if the file has been compiled elsewhere ? - I (looks
around nervously and lowers his voice) thought that the ones you needed
were complied as part of the .exe. I really prefer single file
applications, which is what this is - it is an instinct thing, I
couldn't say why even if I tried.

This is a but worrying, this is a freebie application, but will be used
on NT systems, academics etc.

Liam Healy

Other Threads