Problem with Delphi 3.0 under WINNT 4.0

I have a problem with Delphi 3 (version 3.0 build 5.53)Professional under
Windows NT4.0 (build 1381:servicepack 3).

It was installed under Administrator and will only be used by the one user
on this machine.

When a project is saved an error message ('?||' is not a valid identifier)
is displayed.

The identifier name varies with different objects having focus on a form
when the save is performed.

The above error is also received when an empty project is saved.

Someone suggested that I install under the user who will be
developing.

I tried installing under different types of users and still get the same
problem.

In addition I also get an installation error:
    "There was an error registering c:\Program Files\borland\common
files\bde\idsql32.dll"

The local Borland distributors cannot help either.

The problem is rendering my Delphi totally unusable.

The error was posted on several news groups but no working solution yet.

Willem