How disable multitask functions of win95 ?

On 17 Oct 1997 12:27:49 GMT, larue...@letam.univ-metz.fr (Christian

Laruelle) wrote:

<SNIP>

>I have try to disable interrupt by change the interrupt mask but this change is
>not active when I work under Win 95 ???

Have you tried adjusting the idle sensitivity on your dos window
properties?

Dennis D. Powers
PC/POLL SYSTEMS
Dennis.removet...@pcpoll.com

Support the anti-Spam amendment
Join at http://www.cauce.org/

Re:How disable multitask functions of win95 ?

Hi,

For a data acquisition on a scientific application I use BPW 7.0 to create a
real DOS application.
When I run this application under Win95, in a DOS windows, I lose data because
MS-Windows system is multitask.
It's OK if I restart the computer with DOS.
I would disable multitask functions of Win95 when I run my application.
Who has an idea ?

I have try to disable interrupt by change the interrupt mask but this change is
not active when I work under Win 95 ???

Thank you to send a copy of your answer by Email.

Christian LARUELLE     R&D Engineer
Email: larue...@letam.univ-metz.fr
Institut Superieur de Genie Mecanique et Productique
Laboratoire d'Etude des Textures et Application aux Materiaux
Metz University FRANCE

Christian Laruelle wrote:

> Hi,

> For a data acquisition on a scientific application I use BPW 7.0 to create a
> real DOS application.
> When I run this application under Win95, in a DOS windows, I lose data because
> MS-Windows system is multitask.
> It's OK if I restart the computer with DOS.
> I would disable multitask functions of Win95 when I run my application.
> Who has an idea ?

Uhm, if you loose data when win95 multitasks, you're doing somehting wrong somewhere...
i've seen many dos programs running fine under win95, so, as much as i hate win95,
i think it preserves data correctly. This leads me to think that you're doing some
dirty tricks of some kind. win95 cant preserve your resources if you don't tell it (dos)
what you use...

> I have try to disable interrupt by change the interrupt mask but this change is
> not active when I work under Win 95 ???

prob because win95 masks your port actions, filtering out the interrupt tampering, or
something similar...

--
- Asbj?rn

lord...@hotmail.com
http://home.sol.no/~bheid/

Re:How disable multitask functions of win95 ?

larue...@letam.univ-metz.fr (Christian Laruelle) wrote:
> For a data acquisition on a scientific application I use BPW 7.0 to create a

real DOS application.
> When I run this application under Win95, in a DOS windows, I lose data because

MS-Windows system is multitask.

> It's OK if I restart the computer with DOS.

Even in plain DOS, real-time data acquisition may be a problem, for
instance if you move the mouse.

> I would disable multitask functions of Win95 when I run my application.
> Who has an idea ?

A simple way out is to disable interrupts for the time of the critical
part of your program:

  Inter:=Port[$21];       {saves interrupts in byte-variable Inter}
  Port[$21]:=$FF;         {disables interrupts}
    ...                   {the critical part of your program}
  Port[$21]:=Inter;       {re-enables interrupts}

Be sure to carefully debug your 'enclosed' program!
This works fine in DOS, Win 3.1x and Win 95 but NOT in Win NT.

> Thank you to send a copy of your answer by Email.

You got it.
______________
Olivier Avenel    SPEC / CEA-Saclay   91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex  France
ave...@spec.saclay.cea.fr   (33-1) 69 08 91 04   Fax: (33-1) 69 08 87 86

Re:How disable multitask functions of win95 ?

Re:How disable multitask functions of win95 ?

Contrary to what I wrote in the previous post (see below), this simple
solution doesn't work in Win95. Sorry.
If anybody has a solution to do real-time data acquisition in Win95, I
would be very interested.

Olivier Avenel wrote:

> Contrary to what I wrote in the previous post (see below), this simple

> solution doesn't work in Win95. Sorry.
> If anybody has a solution to do real-time data acquisition in Win95, I

> would be very interested.

Possible solution 1)
  A Co-worker wrote a dma output driver and "discovered" that turning
video optimization off removed the glithchies(sp?).

Possible solution 2)
  Get an aquisition board with a large buffer.

I don't know what kind of a/d board is in question here, but these are
non-specific suggestions that may work seperately or in tandem.

Ephram Cohen
Programmer
Psychoacoustics Lab
UC Berkeley