Cost of Blob Fields on Pdox Tables

Hi,

I'm building an app that needs to store pictures. Since I'd never had to do
such an app I was wondering how the use of Blob fields will affect speed and
size.

Does anyone know something about it or where I can get more info on this
issue?

thanks
Marcelo

Re:Cost of Blob Fields on Pdox Tables

Blobs affect speed since they add a lot more data that has to be read
across the network. If you only need the blobs some of the time you
can put them in a separate table. If you query and do not select the
blob field there is no impact. The effect on size is obvious.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Cost of Blob Fields on Pdox Tables

Thanks,
Marcelo

"Bill Todd" <b...@notthis.dbginc.com> escreveu na mensagem

> Blobs affect speed since they add a lot more data that has to be read
> across the network. If you only need the blobs some of the time you
> can put them in a separate table. If you query and do not select the
> blob field there is no impact. The effect on size is obvious.

> --
> Bill (TeamB)

Re:Cost of Blob Fields on Pdox Tables

Paradox has some ugly bugs with blob fields (same problems with indices).
If a blob field is damaged, you have to delete the whole record to "correct"
this.

So have MUST use a separat table if you do not wanna loose data.

Heiko

PS: I converted my app the interbase last year -> problems are gone.

Other Threads