MS SQL SERVER 6.0 - Fill Factor???

What difference in performance does the "Fill Facor" setting make (this
is in MS SQL Enterprise Manager - Create Index) I saw that it had
something to do with how many records were on one page??? Does that make
it faster/slower/doesn't affect it????

Thanks!
Jamie

Re:MS SQL SERVER 6.0 - Fill Factor???

See Create Index in the SQL 6.5 help. It makes a large difference if you are
inserting records to a table on a regular basis.

Jamie Cunningham wrote in message <344F5B9F.340F...@gte.net>...
>What difference in performance does the "Fill Facor" setting make (this
>is in MS SQL Enterprise Manager - Create Index) I saw that it had
>something to do with how many records were on one page??? Does that make
>it faster/slower/doesn't affect it????

>Thanks!
>Jamie

Re:MS SQL SERVER 6.0 - Fill Factor???

 Jamie,

>What difference in performance does the "Fill Facor" setting make

When doing frequent inserts or updates to variable sized columns (which are
really delete/update operations), a lower fill factor will likely be of much
help.

The fill factor basically determines the point where MSSQL will split the
page for new records. When you have a 50% fill factor, the interim inserts
are more likely to wind up on the same page, thus avoiding table locks and
keeping the lock to the page level.

HTH,

-Luk-

Re:MS SQL SERVER 6.0 - Fill Factor???

According to MS, a fill factor will place blank space at the end of each
index leaf.  This will allow you to add data to the database, and not have
to reshuffle pages until their full (rather than starting out full).

However, from what I have read about this, once the pages are full, MS SQL
Server DOES *NOT* keep creating new pages with blank space.  It is going to
go right back to what it would do if you didn't have a fill factor set.
The fill factor will only be put back into place if you reindex the file.

So, to me it seems pretty worthless unless you only do light updating.

Bill W.

Jamie Cunningham <jam...@gte.net> wrote in article
<344F5B9F.340F...@gte.net>...

> What difference in performance does the "Fill Facor" setting make (this
> is in MS SQL Enterprise Manager - Create Index) I saw that it had
> something to do with how many records were on one page??? Does that make
> it faster/slower/doesn't affect it????

> Thanks!
> Jamie

Other Threads