Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)

Hi there

I have a small test application that works perfectly well when you set
DDEService, DDETopic and DDEItems during design time. I can't seem to set
these parameters during runtime. In the OnFormCreate Event I am able to
establish a link with the SetLink method, which then opens the Server
application -

if not DDEClientConv1.SetLink('DDEServer','DDEServerConv1') then
    raise Exception.Create ('Could not link to DDE server.');

However, straight after that the following code is just ignored. The DDEItem
remains unset.

DDEClientItem1.DDEItem:= 'DDEServerItem1';
DDEClientItem2.DDEItem := 'DDEServerItem2';
DDEClientItem3.DDEItem := 'DDEServerItem3';

Could you please cast some light on the situation.

Thanks

Alex

Re:Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)

Hate to tell you this, DDE in Delphi 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 is broken.  I do not
know about 5.0.

I use a component called Django, it works well but costs money.

-John_Mer...@Brown.EDU

In article <7o3oqk$74...@news.adamastor.ac.za>, aconr...@ing.sun.ac.za says...

>Hi there

>I have a small test application that works perfectly well when you set
>DDEService, DDETopic and DDEItems during design time. I can't seem to set
>these parameters during runtime. In the OnFormCreate Event I am able to
>establish a link with the SetLink method, which then opens the Server
>application -

>if not DDEClientConv1.SetLink('DDEServer','DDEServerConv1') then
>    raise Exception.Create ('Could not link to DDE server.');

>However, straight after that the following code is just ignored. The DDEItem
>remains unset.

>DDEClientItem1.DDEItem:= 'DDEServerItem1';
>DDEClientItem2.DDEItem := 'DDEServerItem2';
>DDEClientItem3.DDEItem := 'DDEServerItem3';

>Could you please cast some light on the situation.

>Thanks

>Alex

Other Threads