Running Delphi under Windows 98 and WIndows NT

I have Delphi 4.0 installed on my machine, which uses Windows 98 as
primary OS. Few days ago I installed Windows NT 4.0 on my machine, so
right now at startup I have option of 2 operating systems.

My question is: what to do to be able to run Delphi under Windows NT?

I know that I could install Delphi second time (i.e. install it under
Windows NT), but it looks to me like waste of harddrive space - there
should be a way to register Delphi under Windows NT without need of
reinstalling Delphi (ideally I would like to be able to run Delphi under
both of these operating systems).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Darek.

Re:Running Delphi under Windows 98 and WIndows NT

I have Delphi 5 running in both 98 and NT. You have to install Delphi
under NT (so that the all important system files become available) but
you can select the same folder where you installed it under 98/95. The
only problem would be if you try to uninstall Delphi from one OS - but
you're not going to do that now, are you? :)

--
DIGITAL PROSPERITY PTY LTD  phone: +61 3 9761-3885
P.O. Box 557                fax:   +61 3 9761-3811

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Re:Running Delphi under Windows 98 and WIndows NT

"Dariusz Dziewialtowski" <da...@netrove.com> skrev i melding

> I have Delphi 4.0 installed on my machine, which uses Windows 98 as
> primary OS. Few days ago I installed Windows NT 4.0 on my machine, so
> right now at startup I have option of 2 operating systems.

> My question is: what to do to be able to run Delphi under Windows NT?

> I know that I could install Delphi second time (i.e. install it under
> Windows NT), but it looks to me like waste of harddrive space - there
> should be a way to register Delphi under Windows NT without need of
> reinstalling Delphi (ideally I would like to be able to run Delphi under
> both of these operating systems).

You just install a second time in your second OS, an make it point to the
same directory.

It might be possible to use the option "Only create registry settings" or
whatever it's called. The question is whether it installs the system DLL's in
your NT/System32 directory...

Anyway, it isn't much extra disk space used, I would guess about 10 Mb...,-)

--
Bjoerge Saether
Consultant / Developer

Re:Running Delphi under Windows 98 and WIndows NT

Try to use the option "Only create registry settings" and start delphi.
Everytime it complains about a missing dll, copy that one from win98 to NT
and restart delphi.
After you have copied all necessary dlls you will be able to run it.

(This is the hard way, you can also install in the same dir under NT)

Louis

Dariusz Dziewialtowski <da...@netrove.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
39165A55.3F6F1...@netrove.com...

> I have Delphi 4.0 installed on my machine, which uses Windows 98 as
> primary OS. Few days ago I installed Windows NT 4.0 on my machine, so
> right now at startup I have option of 2 operating systems.

> My question is: what to do to be able to run Delphi under Windows NT?

> I know that I could install Delphi second time (i.e. install it under
> Windows NT), but it looks to me like waste of harddrive space - there
> should be a way to register Delphi under Windows NT without need of
> reinstalling Delphi (ideally I would like to be able to run Delphi under
> both of these operating systems).

> Thanks in advance for your help,

> Darek.

Re:Running Delphi under Windows 98 and WIndows NT

Thank you for your help, now the answers for my question seem to be so
obvious!

Thanks,

Darek.

Re:Running Delphi under Windows 98 and WIndows NT

Im Artikel <8f64du$si...@ac1.ewetel.de>, "Louis Schreyer" <i...@aquarix.de>
schreibt:

>After you have copied all necessary dlls you will be able to run it.

>(This is the hard way, you can also install in the same dir under NT)

IMO it were easier to install Delphi in both systems, using the same Delphi
directory. Then all shareable files reside in that (commonly used) directory,
the other (non shareable) files in the appropriate directories of both systems.

DoDi

Other Threads