Avoid autoinc in network Paradox files?

I've seen a few people mention that one should avoid having autoinc fields in
tables that are shared and networked.  Why?

Denis
Aquarius Creations
dsarra...@{*word*104}us.ca
http://www.{*word*104}us.ca/~dsarrazin/Homepage1.html

Re:Avoid autoinc in network Paradox files?

On Thu, 14 May 1998 22:22:22 GMT, dsarra...@{*word*104}us.ca (Denis

Sarrazin) wrote:
>I've seen a few people mention that one should avoid having autoinc fields in
>tables that are shared and networked.  Why?

>Denis
>Aquarius Creations
>dsarra...@{*word*104}us.ca
>http://www.{*word*104}us.ca/~dsarrazin/Homepage1.html

It's not too hard to come up with scenarios where two users get
sequential numbers but post out of order giving rise to out of sync
records. Sometimes, this doesn't hurt, sometimes it does. Also, with
Paradox, I've had (on rare occasion) the case where the autoinc
counter got out of sync itself leading to a situation where no more
records could be posted since duplicate key errors occurred. Thus, if
there's a way to avoid using autoinc fields, it's prudent to do so.

Steve F (Team B)

Re:Avoid autoinc in network Paradox files?

>I've seen a few people mention that one should avoid having autoinc fields
in
>tables that are shared and networked.  Why?

Not just in tables that are shared and networked.
If you have master-detail relationship, it may be hard to reestablish
correct relationships back after corruption.
Using autoinc can also lead to hated "Index out of date" error.

Denis Sarrazin wrote in message <355c6e3c.19277...@forums.inprise.com>...
>I've seen a few people mention that one should avoid having autoinc fields
in
>tables that are shared and networked.  Why?

>Denis
>Aquarius Creations
>dsarra...@{*word*104}us.ca
>http://www.{*word*104}us.ca/~dsarrazin/Homepage1.html

Just avoid autoinc. paradox fields at all! Especially if the autoinc field
is the primary index field.
i had a desktop application with an autoinc paradox field crashing all the
time on the autoinc field. No reason, just crashing the indexes. Appeared
when reaching about 10.000 records.

HTH

Marius

Other Threads