Problmes with updating the display under a timer while showing hints

I am having this problem with updating the display while hints are
displayed.

I have an application, that uses an EXE to launch various DLLs. The
EXE is
actually an application bar that launches various DLL modules, and
each
module performs their own unique tasks within the one application
suite.

Anyway, some of these Module DLLs update a section of their display
using a timer. (The timer is used to retrieve the latest status
information
retrieved from our own underlying system DLL) if their is a change in
the
status information then we will display the new details.

This isn't a problem unless the application is displaying hints. If
any module
(DLL) in the same process space displays a hint, the update of the
display
that occurs under a timer is displayed either within the Hint window
or randomly
on the display (usually the top left).

This is more apparent when displaying a drop down combo box.

The problem is something to do with the fact that the hints are
displayed under
a timer each within different application threads. But when drawing
this is
using the Windows API Text out etc to draw to the screen. So I think
that what is
happening is that the hint & graphic update within the modules are
happening
simultaneously under windows within different threads, and their is no
cooperation
between these threads (drawing on the screen) thereby causing the
problems.

Is there any way to determine if WINDOWS is in the process of drawing
something
on the display to as to prevent our modules from updating the display
at the same
time as the hints?

or Does anyone know of a hint component that I can purchase that
prevents this
problem? Any help would be appreciate and well received.

Kind Regards

Neal Crocker.
In addition to the return email address; another address to contact me
on
is ncroc...@cygnus.uwa.edu.au