convert *.exe files to *.pas files

hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable file.  The
problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me formatting my hard
drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas file.  now i
want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert it back to a working
pascal file.

does any1 have any suggestions on this,

thank you

Re:convert *.exe files to *.pas files

On 24 Jul 1997 13:24:10 GMT, "Paul Quinn" <paulq...@wantree.com.au>
wrote:

>hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable file.  The
>problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me formatting my hard
>drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas file.  now i
>want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert it back to a working
>pascal file.

You're stuck.  There is no good way to automatically reconstruct a PAS
file from the EXE.  Yet another excellent example of the importance of
doing backups (whatever those things might happen to be).

Paul Quinn wrote:

> hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable file.  The
> problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me formatting my hard
> drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas file.  now i
> want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert it back to a working
> pascal file.

> does any1 have any suggestions on this,

> thank you

To my knowledge, the only way you can get source code out of an
executable, is to get a disassembler. The problems with disassemblers,
are that they very rarely ever work properly, and they write out
assembler code. It'd be impossible to actually return an executable to
pascal source.
--
mox...@geocities.com
h...@concentric.net (down)

Paul Quinn wrote:

> hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable file.  The
> problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me formatting my hard
> drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas file.  now i
> want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert it back to a working
> pascal file.

> does any1 have any suggestions on this,

        I'd say your best bet is to go from memory, try
        and code what you already know about your exe.
        If you have norton's utils you could easily re-
        cover your pas file. Other then that you broke it. :}

                                        Chris M.

"I haven't forgotten anything. I have my memory backed up on tape somewhere."

Re:convert *.exe files to *.pas files

> hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable file.  The
> problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me formatting my hard
> drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas file.  now i
> want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert it back to a working
> pascal file.

> does any1 have any suggestions on this,

   This is why the concept called "Backup" is so important - you don't do
backups, you pay the price.  Insofar as creating .PAS for this program,
you'll have to reengineer it from its functionality.  There's no other
choice.

Re:convert *.exe files to *.pas files

Re:convert *.exe files to *.pas files

Hi "Paul!

Thursday, July 24 1997, "Paul Quinn" wrote to All:

 PQ> hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable file.
 PQ> The problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me formatting
 PQ> my hard drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas
 PQ> file.  now i want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert it
 PQ> back to a working pascal file.
 PQ> does any1 have any suggestions on this,
 PQ> thank you

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It seems you're searching for a Pascal rev.engineering util..

If somebody has a Pascal reverse-engineering prog, e-mail me!

Regards,

Ron van Daal

: wrote:

:
: >hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable file.  The
: >problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me formatting my hard
: >drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas file.  now i
: >want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert it back to a working
: >pascal file.

If the data is not overwritten, you can recover it with a suitable
disk editor.   As for an .EXE -> .PAS converter : there's no such
thing.
:

In article <01bc99a6$4d2ac240$86e637cb@quinnicus>,

Paul Quinn <paulq...@wantree.com.au> wrote:

>> You're stuck.  There is no good way to automatically reconstruct a PAS
>> file from the EXE.  Yet another excellent example of the importance of
>> doing backups (whatever those things might happen to be).

>So do u, u got anything better to do than abuse ppl, wot a pity my disk
>drive is stuffed and i cant afford a zip drive cos im only a student.
>Think b4 u say.

You do not need a zip drive to do backups. One can use floppies. Also
Backing up does not necessarily mean that one uses a fancy program and
hundreds of floppies. It can be as simple as after you have ended the
programming for the day insert a floppy in the drive and issue "xcopy
*.pas a: /m" (or /a if you do not want to clear archive attributes on
the files copied). If your code is not worth the floppies and the minute
it takes to copy it then why do you bother to write it in the first
place? If you use pkzip you get also compression and floppy changes when
needed and have several other options like selecting files modified
at the particular date. (Of course just backing up source files does not
help you restoring other important stuff, like autoexec.bat and
config.sys etc. so it is good to have at least one more or less
complete backup)

Btw yo could try using English.

Osmo

Re:convert *.exe files to *.pas files

jnz <u...@pacifier.com> wrote in article
<5repag$72...@news.pacifier.com>...

> J. W. Rider (jw_ri...@usa.net) wrote:
> : On 24 Jul 1997 13:24:10 GMT, "Paul Quinn" <paulq...@wantree.com.au>
> : wrote:
> :
> : >hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable file.
 The
> : >problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me formatting my
hard
> : >drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas file.
now i
> : >want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert it back to a
working
> : >pascal file.

Great. A great way to improve your program. Try to reconstruct your program
and it will be a better version than before.

--
Vinson ABS

Ron van Daal <Ron.van.D...@tuwbbs.cuci.nl> wrote in article
<2f7_9707251...@tuwbbs.cuci.nl>...

> Hi "Paul!

> Thursday, July 24 1997, "Paul Quinn" wrote to All:

>  PQ> hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable
file.
>  PQ> The problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me
formatting
>  PQ> my hard drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas
>  PQ> file.  now i want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert
it
>  PQ> back to a working pascal file.
>  PQ> does any1 have any suggestions on this,
>  PQ> thank you

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> It seems you're searching for a Pascal rev.engineering util..

> If somebody has a Pascal reverse-engineering prog, e-mail me!

It is near impossible to decompile and convert back to Pascal source
because program labels, identifier, variables name, types defs... are not
included in the .exe. The best you can do is to disassemble them. I suppose
that won't be useful to you anyway.

--
Vinson ABS

On 24 Jul 1997, Mike Copeland wrote:

> > hello, i have made a program and i converted it to an executable file.  The
> > problem is that my computer crashed and resulted on me formatting my hard
> > drive, i hade the copy of the program but i deleted the .pas file.  now i
> > want to edit my program but i dont know how to convert it back to a working
> > pascal file.

> > does any1 have any suggestions on this,

>    This is why the concept called "Backup" is so important - you don't do
> backups, you pay the price.  Insofar as creating .PAS for this program,
> you'll have to reengineer it from its functionality.  There's no other
> choice.

No, he could diassemble it and modify it in asm via turbo assembler,
microsoft assembler, or dos debug. Or he could learn macheine code and
just directly modify the machine code. There are other choices.

-Scott Wisniewski

wi...@ruhs.uwm.edu

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads