Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

Hey there folks.

I'm developing a program with Delphi 1.0 in Windows NT 4.0.

The problem is that when I try to run the program from Delphi, NT freezes!!!

I run performance manager and graph the available memory. Running my program
seems to use up all the available memory (I have 64M of RAM and 43M of swap).
The program is not very big, and it has worked with Win95 and 3.11. There
should be nothing special in the program, just your basic forms etc.

At the first time when the crash happened, NT complained about running out of
swap-space and recommended that I close some programs. Well, then I had 32M of
RAM, so I guess it was theoretically possible to run out of memory, eventhough
I was running nothing else besides Delphi. But now I have 64M of RAM and still
run nothing besides Delphi. The three times after the first crash haven't even
given me any warnings, NT just freezes. The mouse moves, but nothing happens,
not even C-A-D seem to have any effect.

So, I guess there goes my trust on NT's stability with 16-bit programs...:(

Delphi 2.0 works just fine, no problems.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Peace,
          - Petri -

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

> I'm developing a program with Delphi 1.0 in Windows NT 4.0.
> The problem is that when I try to run the program from Delphi, NT freezes!!!

> I run performance manager and graph the available memory. Running my program
> seems to use up all the available memory (I have 64M of RAM and 43M of swap).
> The program is not very big, and it has worked with Win95 and 3.11. There
> should be nothing special in the program, just your basic forms etc.
> Has anybody else experienced this?

============
A friend of mine JUST had me look into this VERY problem.  Delphi 2.0 runs great for us, but Delphi 1.02 did not.
After a little bit of testing, it appears that the standard vanilla 1.0 release of Delphi allowed us to compile and
run inside the IDE without a problem.  BUT, the LATEST release 1.02 or ??? will cause the problem you mentioned where
NT fills the swap file up and then locks up.  I might add that OUR test case of the problem only occured occasionally,
but when it did, you have about 10 seconds to kill it or you lock up tight.

Is this a coincidence, or is there some reason 1.02 would lockup NT 4.0?

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

Petri J. Riipinen wrote:

> Hey there folks.

> I'm developing a program with Delphi 1.0 in Windows NT 4.0.

> The problem is that when I try to run the program from Delphi, NT freezes!!!

> So, I guess there goes my trust on NT's stability with 16-bit programs...:(

> Delphi 2.0 works just fine, no problems.

> Has anybody else experienced this?

> Peace,
>           - Petri -

Same here! My Delphi app (that ran perfectly under 3.1/95) freeezes on
NT4.0, even Task Manager is worthless. When I tried to use Dr. Watson,
Delphi killed this guy as well.

The worst part is, now I even can't get Delphi IDE to run. After
displaying the splash screen and component bar it just vanishes! Even
while running from runimage directory on CD...

Help, anybody?

Margus

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:43:35 +0200, Margus Kliimask <m...@forex.ee>
wrote:

>Petri J. Riipinen wrote:

>> Hey there folks.

>> I'm developing a program with Delphi 1.0 in Windows NT 4.0.

>> The problem is that when I try to run the program from Delphi, NT freezes!!!

>> So, I guess there goes my trust on NT's stability with 16-bit programs...:(

>> Delphi 2.0 works just fine, no problems.

>> Has anybody else experienced this?

>> Peace,
>>           - Petri -

>Same here! My Delphi app (that ran perfectly under 3.1/95) freeezes on
>NT4.0, even Task Manager is worthless. When I tried to use Dr. Watson,
>Delphi killed this guy as well.

>The worst part is, now I even can't get Delphi IDE to run. After
>displaying the splash screen and component bar it just vanishes! Even
>while running from runimage directory on CD...

>Help, anybody?

>Margus

---------------
Is that with 1.0 or with the upgraded 1.0 (i.e., version 1.02)?
I haven't seen the problem with 1.0 yet.

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

I hate to have to reply to myself, but does anyone else think this
might be related to the NT 4.0 swapfile "bug" discussion going on in:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc?
??

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 18:51:45 -0800, Ray Powell <rpow...@ncs.com> wrote:
>> I'm developing a program with Delphi 1.0 in Windows NT 4.0.
>> The problem is that when I try to run the program from Delphi, NT freezes!!!

I have the very same problem nowadays.

Under NT 3.51 I sometimes had the problem, but nowadays everything goes
bang with Delphi 1.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
CEO - ellipse data systems

-
=  Any opinions here are my personal opinions, not those of my company  =
=          Home on the web: http://www.ellipse-data.com/                =
=     Maintainers of the South African Delphi Super Page Mirror at      =
=                    http://www.icon.co.za/~thelink/                    =
=  Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.delphi.co.za/dugg/    =

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

Stefan Paetow (remove == to mail me) wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 18:51:45 -0800, Ray Powell <rpow...@ncs.com> wrote:

> >> I'm developing a program with Delphi 1.0 in Windows NT 4.0.
> >> The problem is that when I try to run the program from Delphi, NT freezes!!!

> I have the very same problem nowadays.

> Under NT 3.51 I sometimes had the problem, but nowadays everything goes
> bang with Delphi 1.

I have the same problem and don't know how to work around it. Can
someone give a clue?

Marcel Versteeg

            ..,,,.
         .;;;;;;;;;;,.               World Wide Web Page:
         `;;;;;;;;;;;;;,
http://student.twi.tudelft.nl/~s884261/
           `:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
            .;;;;;;;;;;;;;::,
           ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;:::%,              Personal E-mail:
          ;;;;;;,:,:::::::;::::%%,
M.A.Verst...@twi.tudelft.nl
          ;;;;;,::a@@@@@@a::%%%%%%%,.   ...
          `::::::@@@@@@@@@@@a;%%%%%%%%%'  #;
   .,sSSSSs;%%,::@@@@@@;;' #`@@a;%%%%%'   ,'     "Kinda Wobbely" -
 sSSSSSSSSSs;%%%,:@@@@a;;   .@@@a;%%sSSSS'         Bambi (1942)
 `SSSSSSSSSSSs;%%%,:@@@a;;;;@@@;%%sSSSS'
   `SSSSSSSSSSSSs;%%,%%%%%%%%%%%SSSS'
      `SSSSSSSSSSS%;%;sSSSS;""""
          """""" %%;SSSSSS;
                 `;SSSSS;

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

In article <32b1ea38.33102...@159.182.21.5>, rpow...@ncs.com (Ray Powell) wrote:

>I hate to have to reply to myself, but does anyone else think this
>might be related to the NT 4.0 swapfile "bug" discussion going on in:
>comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc?

I've seen this wierd behavior only when running my program within the IDE. I
have managed to get the Task Mgr up and when this happens, my HD starts
chuggin and the Mem Usage label skyrockets to 80+ meg. My machine is a P166 w/
32 Megs of Ram and 45 MB swap file. I haven't been reading the nt.admin.misc
thread but I'll tune in... My symptoms do lend themselves to a swap file
problem.

Peter.

* Peter G. Millard      ******************* Maintainer of the VB        *
* mill...@buffnet.net       **************  General & VBDOS FAQ's      *
* http://www.buffnet.net/~millard  ******** Error Reading Drive A.....      *
* http://www.vantek-corp.com             **     Formatting C: Instead    *

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

In article <5969d5$...@buffnet2.buffnet.net> mill...@buffnet.net (Peter G. Millard) writes:

>In article <32b1ea38.33102...@159.182.21.5>, rpow...@ncs.com (Ray Powell) wrote:

>>I hate to have to reply to myself, but does anyone else think this
>>might be related to the NT 4.0 swapfile "bug" discussion going on in:
>>comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc?

>I've seen this wierd behavior only when running my program within the IDE. I
>have managed to get the Task Mgr up and when this happens, my HD starts
>chuggin and the Mem Usage label skyrockets to 80+ meg. My machine is a P166 w/
>32 Megs of Ram and 45 MB swap file. I haven't been reading the nt.admin.misc
>thread but I'll tune in... My symptoms do lend themselves to a swap file
>problem.

>Peter.

On my two NT 4.0 machines (PPro 200, 64MB RAM, 64MB swap and a Toshiba
400CDT, 40MB RAM, 40MB swap), this problem disappears when "Minimize
on run" is not checked.

Your mileage may vary, though...
 - Jim

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

Hi Marcel,

Marcel Versteeg wrote:

 >> I have the very same problem nowadays.
 >> Under NT 3.51 I sometimes had the problem, but nowadays
 >> everything goes bang with Delphi 1.
 > I have the same problem and don't know how to work around it.
 > Can someone give a clue?

When I had this problem with 4.0 I took a look at the resource monitor (in
the tastmgr) while running the program from Delphi. It seems that all my
resources (memory and cpu time) were 100% used...

Regards,
Arjan

Arjan J. Moraal                |  PGP key? Send empty msg to
Paninaro Development           |  pgp-ajmor...@paninaro.xs4all.nl
Groningen, The Netherlands     |

Re:Delphi 1.0 crashes NT 4.0...?!?

On 18 Dec 96 11:14:00 , ajmor...@paninaro.xs4all.nl (Arjan J. Moraal)
wrote:

>When I had this problem with 4.0 I took a look at the resource monitor (in
>the tastmgr) while running the program from Delphi. It seems that all my
>resources (memory and cpu time) were 100% used...

YES YES YES!!!

I agree....you see Delphi.exe suddenly start to run up to 97% of the CPU
Time...and if it's not Delphi then it is the application that you are
trying to run.

It seems that if you check 'Minimize on Run' and set the Link buffer to
'Disk' that you don't have that problem. But it seems that on medium loaded
systems it hangs it anyway.

Weird behaviour if you ask me.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
CEO - ellipse data systems

-

In article <jmayerE2L5EK....@netcom.com>, jma...@netcom.com (Jim Mayer) wrote:
>On my two NT 4.0 machines (PPro 200, 64MB RAM, 64MB swap and a Toshiba
>400CDT, 40MB RAM, 40MB swap), this problem disappears when "Minimize
>on run" is not checked.

I never had this setting checked on my machine -- I have been paying attention
to the thread in the comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc group about the problem
with virtual memory. I changed the minimum and maximum settings to the same
value in hopes that this will cure the problem. I haven't been in a position
yet where I can bring my machine down (potentially) :) I'll keep you posted to
see if this fixes the problem or not.