Windows 98 connecting to NT

I have tested this with interbase 6 and firebird 1.02

Windows 98 client cannot connect to an NT 4 server with interbase server
running. XP clients are connecting find.

BDE server name for alias is   ipaddress:d:\path\to\file.gdb and the same
string works fine for the xp machines just nto for the 98 and 95 clients.

  Keeps getting an unavailable database message.

Ibconsole's diagnose connection returns that socket cannot be allocated, but
this is cryptic to me and I'm not sure what it means?

it would appear to me that for some reason NT 4 is not allowing connections
from Windows 98/95 clients?  Can anyone help me resolve this?

Thanks.

Re:Windows 98 connecting to NT

Correction both clients that won't connect are Windows 95.  Is this a known
Windows 95 issue?

"Chris M" <ch...@eventsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have tested this with interbase 6 and firebird 1.02

> Windows 98 client cannot connect to an NT 4 server with interbase server
> running. XP clients are connecting find.

> BDE server name for alias is   ipaddress:d:\path\to\file.gdb and the same
> string works fine for the xp machines just nto for the 98 and 95 clients.

>   Keeps getting an unavailable database message.

> Ibconsole's diagnose connection returns that socket cannot be allocated,
but
> this is cryptic to me and I'm not sure what it means?

> it would appear to me that for some reason NT 4 is not allowing
connections
> from Windows 98/95 clients?  Can anyone help me resolve this?

> Thanks.

Re:Windows 98 connecting to NT

"Chris M" <ch...@eventsoft.com> wrote:
>Correction both clients that won't connect are Windows 95.  Is this a known
>Windows 95 issue?

To use an IP address instead of a host name you must have
WinSock 2.0 ir higher installed.  Win95 only has WinSock 1.0.
The older WinSock's GetHostByName will not work when passed
an IP address.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:50:00 -0700, Chris M <ch...@eventsoft.com> wrote:
> I have tested this with interbase 6 and firebird 1.02
> Windows 98 client cannot connect to an NT 4 server with interbase server
> running. XP clients are connecting find.
> BDE server name for alias is   ipaddress:d:\path\to\file.gdb and the same
> string works fine for the xp machines just nto for the 98 and 95 clients.
> Keeps getting an unavailable database message.
> Ibconsole's diagnose connection returns that socket cannot be allocated,
> but this is cryptic to me and I'm not sure what it means?
> it would appear to me that for some reason NT 4 is not allowing
> connections from Windows 98/95 clients?  Can anyone help me resolve this?

I think you must have Winsock2 to be able to use the IP-address (rather
than a server name).  Win/9x may need an update from MS.

--
Aage J.

Re:Windows 98 connecting to NT

Thank you WinSock updates worked well.

"Aage Johansen" <aagjo...@offline.no> wrote in message

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:50:00 -0700, Chris M <ch...@eventsoft.com> wrote:

> > I have tested this with interbase 6 and firebird 1.02
> > Windows 98 client cannot connect to an NT 4 server with interbase server
> > running. XP clients are connecting find.
> > BDE server name for alias is   ipaddress:d:\path\to\file.gdb and the
same
> > string works fine for the xp machines just nto for the 98 and 95
clients.
> > Keeps getting an unavailable database message.
> > Ibconsole's diagnose connection returns that socket cannot be allocated,
> > but this is cryptic to me and I'm not sure what it means?
> > it would appear to me that for some reason NT 4 is not allowing
> > connections from Windows 98/95 clients?  Can anyone help me resolve
this?

> I think you must have Winsock2 to be able to use the IP-address (rather
> than a server name).  Win/9x may need an update from MS.

> --
> Aage J.

Re:Windows 98 connecting to NT

And thanks to you as well.

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <jeffoverc...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "Chris M" <ch...@eventsoft.com> wrote:
> >Correction both clients that won't connect are Windows 95.  Is this a
known
> >Windows 95 issue?

> To use an IP address instead of a host name you must have
> WinSock 2.0 ir higher installed.  Win95 only has WinSock 1.0.
> The older WinSock's GetHostByName will not work when passed
> an IP address.

Other Threads