MS Access + cached updates problem

Hi there.  If I open even a simple query, eg. "select * from orders" on the
demo MS Access database, using the native driver, it replies with this
message:

General SQL error.
Operation is not supported for this type of object.
Field.

It seems to only happen on tables with two or more integer fields on it,
when cached updates is on, and when you select certain sets of fields:
"select CustomerID from orders" works (ok, I know it's nonsensical, please
suspend your disbelief).  Oh, and it only happens with Access - the same
code works on tables in all our other databases.

Has anyone ever successfully used cached updates with MS Access?  Is this a
known bug?  Is there a workaround?  If you're at all interested, I can send
you a small (76k zipped) demo (project + database) which clearly
demonstrates the problem.  We're using Delphi 4, Update pack 2.

Any suggestions welcome.

Carl Reynolds
CJN Technologies Ltd.

Re:MS Access + cached updates problem

Hello

      I thing is because you are using the Native driver. Native driver uses
the MS ACCESS SQL, with is some different . Try use ODBC driver.

     Good Luck

    Abimael
    abimael_olive...@hotmail.com
Carl Reynolds escreveu na mensagem <7eufq7$c...@forums.borland.com>...

>Hi there.  If I open even a simple query, eg. "select * from orders" on the
>demo MS Access database, using the native driver, it replies with this
>message:

>General SQL error.
>Operation is not supported for this type of object.
>Field.

>It seems to only happen on tables with two or more integer fields on it,
>when cached updates is on, and when you select certain sets of fields:
>"select CustomerID from orders" works (ok, I know it's nonsensical, please
>suspend your disbelief).  Oh, and it only happens with Access - the same
>code works on tables in all our other databases.

>Has anyone ever successfully used cached updates with MS Access?  Is this a
>known bug?  Is there a workaround?  If you're at all interested, I can send
>you a small (76k zipped) demo (project + database) which clearly
>demonstrates the problem.  We're using Delphi 4, Update pack 2.

>Any suggestions welcome.

>Carl Reynolds
>CJN Technologies Ltd.

Re:MS Access + cached updates problem

Hi Abimael.  I tried using the ODBC driver as you suggested, and sure
enough, the problem goes away.  I guess the native driver is just plain
screwed?  Not much use then is it.  Thanks very much for your help!

Cheers,
Carl Reynolds
CJN Technologies Ltd.

Abimael wrote in message <7f3fre$h...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hello

>      I thing is because you are using the Native driver. Native driver
uses
>the MS ACCESS SQL, with is some different . Try use ODBC driver.

>     Good Luck

>    Abimael
>    abimael_olive...@hotmail.com
>Carl Reynolds escreveu na mensagem <7eufq7$c...@forums.borland.com>...
>>Hi there.  If I open even a simple query, eg. "select * from orders" on
the
>>demo MS Access database, using the native driver, it replies with this
>>message:

>>General SQL error.
>>Operation is not supported for this type of object.
>>Field.

>>It seems to only happen on tables with two or more integer fields on it,
>>when cached updates is on, and when you select certain sets of fields:
>>"select CustomerID from orders" works (ok, I know it's nonsensical, please
>>suspend your disbelief).  Oh, and it only happens with Access - the same
>>code works on tables in all our other databases.

>>Has anyone ever successfully used cached updates with MS Access?  Is this
>>known bug?  Is there a workaround?  If you're at all interested, I can
send
>>you a small (76k zipped) demo (project + database) which clearly
>>demonstrates the problem.  We're using Delphi 4, Update pack 2.

>>Any suggestions welcome.

>>Carl Reynolds
>>CJN Technologies Ltd.

Other Threads