Re: QC stats technology preview

John Kaster (Borland) wrote in <42c61691$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >:
Well, actually, it will show the people who do a good job of writing
clear reports ;)
For some reason I thought it was listing a bunch of people with 5.0
ratings, I see I read it wrong. :D Though I do think it's misnamed
perhaps. Maybe "Average Rating Received" would be better?
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re:Re: QC stats technology preview

Will DeWitt Jr. wrote:
Oh, I was going to suggest you track the people who received the most
ratings
Having received a lot of ratings isn't necessarily good - ratings
measure the quality of report. Someone that got 200 ratings of "1"
shouldn't really be on top of such stats.
Worse yet, people still use ratings as a way to vote for an issue, See
the recent Pierre's report. It's not that is bad, but there are several
reports in the system that are as good and have no ratings.
As a sysop, that makes my job harder - if I could make a top-rated
query and find those well-written reports, that are easy to reproduce,
as the system was designed to make, I would be able to open more
reports overall.
Here's one report that's got a lot of ratings (even though misused
ratings):
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
It seems to me that tracking the people who
receive the highest average ratings isn't going to show much.
Once you get past a certain number of ratings and the average can be
calculated with a certain level of confidence. A high rating should a
report with good quality.
Since that's confusing, I'll consider adding a popup tooltip to the
table headers explaining the criteria better. How does it sound?
--
Leonel

Will DeWitt Jr. wrote:
Maybe "Average Rating Received" would be better?
That would probably be clearer. Thanks.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

{smallsort}

Re:Re: QC stats technology preview

Exactly what I was waiting for!
Thanks, now I can see whats going on on quality central.
Never mind the vanishing 2005 editor, you can now see all the stats of the
QC and already 50% of the bugs are fixed!
Thanks
"John Kaster (Borland)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
QC Stats Technology Preview - by Leonel Togniolli

A preview of the QC stats application has just been posted. Read on for
more information.

bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33104,00.html

Take a look, let us know what you think so far. Lots more left to do,
but we think it's far enough along to give you an idea of some of the
things we're going to deliver for it.

Follow-ups to the qualitycentral newsgroup
--

BaSS wrote:
Exactly what I was waiting for!
Happy to deliver ;)
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Re: QC stats technology preview

This is very nice!
I hope that this will help Borland and others to get a better view on what
needs to be done.
And now everyone can see what I have said for a long time:
test.borland.com/qcstats/project.aspx
That the Delphi project has over 50% of the reports in reported status (even
when counting with closed/resolved reports). This means that something must
be done to adjust this.
-Atle

Re:Re: QC stats technology preview

Something interesting to have inside the general stats "Last seven days"
area:
under Reports you could have "Handled" ->That means all reports that has
status changed from "reported" to something else the last seven days.
After "Comments" you could have a rate indication for reports versus handled
as reports (handled - reports), this will give you a negative value whenever
the amount of handled reports goes below the amount of new reports. Very
valuable to see if the admins are working fast enough or need more people.
I guess this value have been negative for a long time to give the amount of
"reported" reports that exist inside QC.
-Atle

Re:Re: QC stats technology preview

The last suggestion could be put inside the admin section, as it's most
relevant to the admins.

At 07:27:58, 01.07.2005, John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
QC Stats Technology Preview - by Leonel Togniolli
Excellent work! Looks really good.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke."

Leonel wrote in < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >:
Since that's confusing, I'll consider adding a popup tooltip to the
table headers explaining the criteria better. How does it sound?
See my reply to John, that should clear up the confusion between the
two. =)
Will
--

Atle Smelvfr wrote:
I hope that this will help Borland and others to get a better view on
what needs to be done.
That's the whole idea, isn't it?
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Re: QC stats technology preview

A preview of the QC stats application has just been posted. Read on for
more information.

bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33104,00.html

Take a look, let us know what you think so far. Lots more left to do,
but we think it's far enough along to give you an idea of some of the
things we're going to deliver for it.
Hi John
My comments are:
(i) the link colour (brown) in the article is hard to spot compared to the
text color. Maybe this colour could/should be revisited?
(ii) It would nice to be able to click on the bar graph for the project
stats and get taken to a page listing those specific reports (eg Click on
the bar for Delphi | Open and get taken to a page listing QC reports for
Delphi that are open, with further search/browse interfacing.
(iii) it would be good to specify (and be able to break it down by) period,
by product (Delphi, JBuilder etc) and by Delphi version. ie, are these
reports in the last year or all reports ever, do they relate to D2005, etc.
Overall, seems like a good initiative, and would tie in well with your
TeraQuest-led ongoing CMMI process improvement.
Follow-ups to the qualitycentral newsgroup
I typically don't bother chasing up these follow-up groups you send replies
to. So very likely I will not see any replies to this, so please, if you
don't mind, refrain from making snide remarks to this, as you seem to have
done with other follow-up comments I have made to other posts of yours.
Lauchlan Mackinnon

Lauchlan M wrote:
(i) the link colour (brown) in the article is hard to spot compared
to the text color. Maybe this colour could/should be revisited?
Yes, outstanding issue w/ look and feel I'm still negotiating w/ our
corp site people.
(ii) It would nice to be able to click on the bar graph for the
project stats and get taken to a page listing those specific reports
(eg Click on the bar for Delphi | Open and get taken to a page
listing QC reports for Delphi that are open, with further
search/browse interfacing.
That was a spec from the beginning. Leonel will get to it. Tx for
confirmation.
(iii) it would be good to specify (and be able to break it down by)
period, by product (Delphi, JBuilder etc) and by Delphi version. ie,
are these reports in the last year or all reports ever, do they
relate to D2005, etc.
This, too.
Overall, seems like a good initiative, and would tie in well with your
TeraQuest-led ongoing CMMI process improvement.
I hope so. It's being well-received internally, so hopefully it will
garner more attention for QC.
please, if you don't mind, refrain from making snide remarks to this,
Sorry you consider my remarks snide. I will endeavor to restrain my
replies to you in the future, then.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Re: QC stats technology preview

>I hope that this will help Borland and others to get a better view on
>what needs to be done.

That's the whole idea, isn't it?
Yes. And time will show if it has some impact on their view.
-Atle

Lauchlan M wrote:
..refrain from making snide remarks..
I could make a comment about that, however I expect it might be
considered snide. In fact so could this post, so please disregard it
entirely.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]