Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >a écrit dans le message de
My experience in migrating Paradox apps to ADS has been
very good.
One thing that has always stopped me from taking the plunge and converting
my Paradox app to ADS or DbiSAM is that I have a lot of Paradox code (ie.
functions that start with dbi*) used to pack tables and restructure tables
automatically (either after a crash, or after I send an updated table
definition to my remote users). This code has been working nicely, but after
a lot of time spent developping it. Is there any easy equivalent/transition
path for Advantage ?
Thanks again for your constant presence on this NG. I don't know what this
NG would be without you.
Olivier Beltrami
-
Bank Holidays, Dates and Calendar Related Links :
www.qppstudio.net/worldholidays.htm
www.qppstudio.net/freeware.htm

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

Ronaldo Souza wrote:

The appps we are working on are primarily data-acquisition/processing
systems and the DB stuff is NOT our top priority. Our DBs are basically
data storage: 90% are single-user and 10% with up to 5 simultaneous
users basically WRITING to the DB. Record collisions are very rare. We
use SQL for some reports but nothing really fancy. Our files are
basically a bunch of blobs totaling usually 500K.

We have been using Delphi/BDE/Paradox since 98, with the usual problems,
no big deal, but now things are changing: my experience with the XP-SP2
problem is that the solutions proposed here and elsewere work about half
the time and I expect it to get worse with time. I just spent an
afternoon trying (without success) to fix a system that was working fine
yesterday and, after an automatic windows update, stopped working today.
The only solution was to restore Windows to the point just before the
update.

With regret, we decided it's time to migrate to another database. The
question is: which ? Big factors on this decision will be:
1) Future support/enhancement.
2) How easy the migration process will be? Is the new DB similar to
BDE/Paradox?
3) Is there a tool to "translate" at least some of the code (Delphi)?
4) Source code available ? (Delphi)
5) Available on Linux?

Factors 1 and 2 are real deal breakers!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, experiences, etc.

Ronaldo

I am currently in the process of migrating a BDE application from
TurboDB - www.turbodb.de/en/products.html. Addressing your issues.
1. They have released 3 or 4 minor version enhancements since I
purchased the TurboDB a year ago. I have not need much support recently
, but the email support was excellent when I first started to use the
product.
2. TurboDB is nearly identical to the BDE TTable component. I do
recall that they did not implement the SetRange function. My
application was written with native IDAPI calls, and the migration
process was not without pain. I had to write a custom program to
translate the BDE database to TurboDB.
3. See number 2 above. Based on the timeframe your application was
developed, I doubt you use VCL components; therefore, you code migration
will not be easy.
4. Source code? I did not purchase it, but I thought there was a more
expensive version that included it. I could not verify this with a
cursory glance at there website.
5. The website shows CLX components; therefore, Linux is support to
some degree.
Drawbacks
1. The developers are German speaking and the English documentation
falls short sometimes. A case in point: they used the German word
eigenvalue for property in the English documentation.
2. I do not believe TurboDB is as fast as BDE. I have not written any
applications to test this opinion. This is based entirely on the speed
at which selected records appear on the TDBGrid.
I am available via email if you have any questions that you do not feel
would be of general interest in the newsgroup.
HTH,
Danzer

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

Danzer wrote:
I am currently in the process of migrating a BDE application from
TurboDB - www.turbodb.de/en/products.html. Addressing your issues.
That should read "migrating a BDE application to TurboDB".

{smallsort}

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Any BDE API calls will have to be replaced by the appropriate code, if
any, for Advantage. There is no shortcut for this. I hope the BDE still
runs on Longhorn. :)

Hi Bill,
Well, there's thousand upon thousands of Paradox Developers out there and
the BDE is still the *only* interface for that file format. So, IMO its up
to Borland to either keep it working under Longhorn or give us the code and
we will - its as simple as that.
Leslie.

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:xn0dxfnsjkz45001
@newsgroups.borland.com:
I hope the BDE still runs on Longhorn. :)
Borland has said only SQLLinks has been deprecated.
--
Iman

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

Iman L Crawford wrote:
Borland has said only SQLLinks has been deprecated.
*and* the BDE.. actually, the SQL Link has been deprecated *because* the
BDE has been deprecated..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

True. However, they have also said that no development or bug fixes will
be done to the BDE. It is not completely clear whether that includes
correcting an incompatibility with a future version of Windows.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Bill Todd wrote:
It is not completely clear whether that includes correcting an
incompatibility with a future version of Windows.
depends on how far down the road it happens, what needs to be fixed, who
might be available to figure out how to fix it, what it will cost to
fix/test/deploy, etc, etc, etc..
it ain't gonna happen..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

That is not correct. The BDE has not been deprecated. The BDE will
continue to ship for the "foreseeable future" to support Paradox tables.
However, no development or bug fixes are being done.
--

Bill Todd wrote:
That is not correct. The BDE has not been deprecated. The BDE will
continue to ship for the "foreseeable future" to support Paradox tables.
However, no development or bug fixes are being done.
regardless of what they call the current status, the end result will be the
same.. by the time a "necessary fix" is required, one or more of the
following will apply:
there won't be anyone with the appropriate knowledge and availability
it'll be something too major or expansive to attempt
it'll cost way too much
there won't be enough market to justify it
OTOH, we are collectively a *very* resourceful group.. 3rd party fixes have
saved Paradox and the BDE before, and they'll most likely prolong the life
cycle again..

"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:xn0dxn11olzpy6003
@newsgroups.borland.com:
It is not completely clear whether that includes
correcting an incompatibility with a future version of Windows.
Thanks for the follow up. I've missed that bit. I used think it was
deprecated, then was told otherwise. I wish they would just come out and
say what exactly they're going to do for Paradox files.
--
Iman

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

I think that community.borland.com/article/0,1410,28688,00.html is
clear on that point. They will continue to ship BDE 5.2 for anyone that is
using Paradox files but since the BDE is no longer being developed anyone
using Paradox files should convert to another database.
--
Iman L Crawford wrote:
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:xn0dxn11olzpy6003
@newsgroups.borland.com:
>It is not completely clear whether that includes
>correcting an incompatibility with a future version of Windows.

Thanks for the follow up. I've missed that bit. I used think it was
deprecated, then was told otherwise. I wish they would just come out and
say what exactly they're going to do for Paradox files.

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:xn0dxo5cf43sie005
@newsgroups.borland.com:
community.borland.com/article/0,1410,28688,00.html
ah, I must have missed or forgotten that.
--
Iman

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

Bill,
However, based on your description of your needs, ALS should be an
excellent choice. My experience in migrating Paradox apps to ADS has
been very good.
I'm doing my firts tests with ALS but I stumbled on a problem: our app.
uses transactions a lot to allow a rollback in case of error. It seems
that ALS does not support transactions. Is it true? Is there a work
around? If not, how can we avoid partially filled records from being
commited?
TIA,
Ronaldo

Re:Re: [LONG] Problems with XP...

Your are correct that ALS does not support transactions. Advantage does
have a version of ALS that does support transactions but I do not know if
they charge for it or not. Post a message on the Advantage newsgroups and
I am sure someone can tell you.