Formless Tables

I need to access (read and write) to a pre-existing table in a dll. This
dll does not use forms and so needs to be able to "create" a formless
table. Is this possible in BDE without getting memory or access
violations? If so, what is the best why to achieve this?
--
Regards,
Richard Beilby.

Re:Formless Tables

Your question is very confusing. You state that the table already
exists. In the next sentence you say that the DLL needs to create a
"formless table" whatever that is.
Why do you need to create a table if the table already exists?
What do you mean by "formless table"?
What database are you using?
Since the BDE is no longer being developed and all of the SQL Link
drivers have been deprecated why do you want to use it?
--
Bill (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email
Richard Beilby wrote:
I need to access (read and write) to a pre-existing table in a dll.
This dll does not use forms and so needs to be able to "create" a
formless table. Is this possible in BDE without getting memory or
access violations? If so, what is the best why to achieve this?

Re:Formless Tables

Bill,
Thanks for your reply. To explain: I am using a Paradox database and the
application is quite old and works well. I what to be able to read from
and write to a Paradox table using the BDE in a dll that does not have
any forms. I want to do something equivalent to "Form1.Table1.create",
but, without encompassing the table in a form. I am presuming that the
create statement allocates memory to the table. Am I correct?
I hope this explains the question more clearly.
--
Regards,
Richard Beilby.

{smallsort}

Re:Formless Tables

A little. It sounds like you want to create a TTable component. To do
that all you need is:
var
MyTable: TTable;
begin
MyTable := TTable.Create(nil);
--
Richard Beilby wrote:
I hope this explains the question more clearly.

Re:Formless Tables

Bill,
That's it, thanks. So I don't have to allocate memory then?
So, from here I can name the database and table and then use as normal.
--
Regards,
Richard Beilby.

Re:Formless Tables

You never have to allocate memory when creating an instance of a
component. The constructor (Create method) does that for you. You must
make sure that you free the component instance or you will have a
memory leak.
Once you have created the TTable instance you use it just as you would
in an EXE.