folding mode/use of Brad Stumpf outline DLL for CW?

2004-07-15 09:33:52 PM
off-topic2
Hi All
I've been a CW user (before that, Brief) for years (and have just seen the news about its demise ... sad). This has prompted me to start thinking again about something that I've always wanted in CW: a 'proper' outlining or folding mode.
By this I mean one where the user can arbitarily set folds, rather than on brace or functions levels etc. The editor that best had this was 'origami', an otherwise-primitive editor that was part of the Occam Transputer Development System.
Anyway ... the last time I looked at this, I got interested in an outline matching DLL that one Brad Stumpf posted on the support site. I can't remember exactly why I thought this was going to help (I will do some more research before I post next time!), but ... has anyone used the Brad Stumpf DLL for their own CW extensions? I would be interested to learn of your experiences. Brad himself seems to have vanished from the net.
I'd love to hear of anyone who's worken on a folding facility that worked in a similar way to Origami, also.
Thanks a lot
Jon N

Re:folding mode/use of Brad Stumpf outline DLL for CW?

Jon,
I'm not familiar with 'origami' but how about just doing this:
1) Select text to be folded.
2) Right-click in selection, choose 'Hide selected lines'.
JB
"Jon Nicoll" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

[...]

Hi JB
Jon,

I'm not familiar with 'origami' but how about just doing this:

1) Select text to be folded.
2) Right-click in selection, choose 'Hide selected lines'.

JB
I'll have to check that operation since it's been a while since I've tried any of this with CW ... I never quite worked out how the parsers, outline parsers, lexers(?) and what-not interacted with each other. FYI, what Origami did was to add a language-sensitive line into the source file at a 'fold point'. This was a comment as far as the code was concerned, and it indicated either:
- start of a fold
- end of a fold
- 'file fold' (like a #include'd file in C)
These incorporated an optional fold title; in a C file the comments strings were probably (from meory)
/*{{{ function prototypes */ # begin fold mark, with title
/*}}} */ # end fold mark
/*{{{F filename.c */ # file fold; I'm not too bothered about this one
Thus the folds were _persistant_ across invocations.
Thanks for your thoughts
Jon N

{smallsort}

Re:folding mode/use of Brad Stumpf outline DLL for CW?

tlaHideBlock performs this function for text that is surrounded by curley
braces. Move the cursor inside the block, execute the function, the
block(delimited by braces) is hidden.
The challenge for your project is defining what the start and end conditions
are. When you have that accomplished you can use the same technique found
in tlaHideBlock to do the manipulation.
The description and code for tlaHideBlock is located at
www.tlanet.net/software/cwa/tlaHideBlock.asp
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlaNET.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.