BDE Installation

2003-12-03 06:11:46 AM
off-topic0
Whenever some customers of mine try to install an application created with
Delphi 5 and they already have an older version created with Delphi 3, the
BDE refuses to merge the IDAPI.CFG file and the new application will not
run.
This happens in every case when the Delphi 3 version of BDE is already
installed on the machine. For some reason the merge file name reported by
Installshield is not IDAPI32.CFG but IDAPI.CFG.
I have read all the stories on Borland website but is there a simple way of
reinstalling the BDE?
I am not comfortable with customers deleting things from registry as they
are mostly computer illiterate people.
Thanks, John

Re:BDE Installation

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I wonder if there is anything I can do
to avoid the problem in the first place. As it stands now, every customer
who has a Delphi 3 version of BDE installed cannot install BDE enabled apps.
created with D5 because the merge bombs and the new BDE will not install. It
is not a user-friendly option to ask customers to download and install the
BDE from somebody else's website. Many of them are not even connected to
Internet.
Is there anything I can do to avoid the problem? Certainly, I am not the
only one who encounters it .
Thanks, John
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
You can install the BDE Info utility at ibinstall.defined.net .
It will install BDE 5.2 or upgrade an existing installation to BDE
5.2.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:BDE Installation

John wrote:
It is not a user-friendly option to ask customers to download and install the
BDE from somebody else's website.
your customers don't download it.. *you* do.. <smile>..
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - www.diamondsg.com - Support/Sales/Links
Our latest web site update is in place - new Support and Sales options!

Re:BDE Installation

1.) I use Installshield that came with Delphi 5
2.) Error Message: Merging the configuration file has failed Config File:
c:\program files\common files\borland\shared\dbe\idapi.cfg
This is not a single occurrence, this seems to happen on nearly all machines
that have D3 ver. of BDE installed.
I wonder if it has something to do with InstallShield using idapi.cfg.
Should it not be idapi32.cfg?
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Also, what is the exact text of the error message.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:BDE Installation

I could say something but I just ignore smart-arses who nit-pick instead
trying to help.

-
Our latest web site update is in place - new Support and Sales options!
-

Re:BDE Installation

I could be wrong here (I don't use InstallShield anymore), but I think
there's an option about whether or not the config will support 16 and/or 32
bit versions of the BDE. I expect idapi.cfg is the 16/32 bit version while
idapi32.cfg is for the 32-bit only version. The D3 installs probably have
16/32 bit config files that you're trying to merge with a 32-bit only
version from your install. Maybe if you change the config file your
distributing to support 16/32 bit the merge will work?

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Also, what is the exact text of the error message.
>
>--
>Bill (TeamB)
>(TeamB cannot respond to questions received via email)

Re:BDE Installation

Yes, you might be right there. I have installed the D5 app.on the hard disk
which I use for D3 compatibility and it installed OK & the config file was
idapi32.cfg while on the my D5 HD it uses idapi.cfg config file.
There might be some interaction from D1 or Paradox 5 16 bit IDAPI stuff.
The problem is to figure what happens on the customers computer without
having access to it. I found that you can fresh install BDE if you rename
(or delete) the BLW32 & Database Engine entries in registry and rename
(delete) the BDE folder on the HD. Interestingly, InstallShield still
locates the config file. I guess it finds it in win.ini file IDAPI entry.

John wrote:
I could say something but I just ignore smart-arses who nit-pick instead
trying to help.

>your customers don't download it.. *you* do.. <smile>..
OK.. I'll spell it out, since you didn't get my meaning the first time..
*you* download it once, then deploy it with your stuff.. upgrade the BDE, then
install the app.. geez <g>
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - www.diamondsg.com - Support/Sales/Links
Our latest web site update is in place - new Support and Sales options!

Re:BDE Installation

2.) Error Message: Merging the configuration file has failed Config File:
c:\program files\common files\borland\shared\dbe\idapi.cfg
I ahve seen such message if the existing BDE is not installed properly
on the machine. But we use Wise.
--
Gert

Re:BDE Installation

God you are clever, wonder what would we do without your advice.

John wrote:
God you are clever, wonder what would we do without your advice.
I imagine you'd keep on trying to figure out how to get your customers running,
and looking foolish..
the people here, myself included, donate an unbelievable amount of time, just to
help those with problems.. like you.. you won't endear yourself to the community
with your continued rude comments..
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - www.diamondsg.com - Support/Sales/Links
Our latest web site update is in place - new Support and Sales options!

Re:BDE Installation

Sorry if I offended someone. I did not know Steve is part of your team as
his name does not appear on any other messages, I thought he just jumped in.
My apology...
The point is that I know how to download and send files to new customers.
I am here concerned how to fix a problem on an existing customer
installation. I was trying to find a solution I could resolve with the
customer over the phone rather than sending him programs to run.
Thanks for all your help.
Regards
John
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
John,

You seem to think that Steve's reply was intended as a snide remark.
It was not. He genuinely thought you did not understand how to use the
download I referred to and tried to make sure his comment would not be
offensive by including the <smile>emoticon at the end.

As Steve pointed out, these are peer-support groups. The people who
answer questions here are doing so on their own time. The people who
regularly help here, such as Steve, do not waste time posting messages
whose intent is anything but providing helpful information. With rare
exceptions you will not find Borland employees here and no one has to
answer your questions.

Finally, please take a few minutes to read the newsgroup guidelines at
www.borland.com/newsgroups . As you spend more time on these groups
you will find that one of the things that is not tolerated is posts
that in any way attack or insult someone else. The _sole_ purpose of
these groups is to exchange technical information.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:BDE Installation

John wrote:
My apology...
accepted.. but it doesn't matter if somebody is part of the "team" or not, for
their responses to be meaningful.. when the answer is wrong, then the "team"
will point that out.. to great excess <g>
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - www.diamondsg.com - Support/Sales/Links
Our latest web site update is in place - new Support and Sales options!

Re:BDE Installation

Help Please. I've used BC++ version 5 for years to develop applications.
These applications were either run from the machine where they were
developed, or moved to machines that had previous installations of BDE.
Recenty, for the first time, I created an installation CD with Install
Shield Express 1.0 and sent it to someone with a "clean" machine - no
previous Borland products. The installation went flawlessly (Windows 98)
but the application fails to initialize the BDE - throwing the error
"Invalid File Name" during initialization. Then, of course, everywhere you
try to open a file in the application you get that error again. I've
checked both my development machine and the target machine for dlls, exes,
cfg files, etc. Everything is the same on both machines. Registry entries
related to idapi and bde are the same on both machines.
Any ideas?
Rob Graham

Re:BDE Installation

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
On 10 Apr 2004 20:42:18 -0800, "Rob Graham" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Any ideas?

Not without seeing the complete and exact text of the error message.

--
Bill (TeamB)
The complete and exact text of the error message is: