Database desktop

With no obvious reason the Database Desktop crashed and after that when I
try to open it, I get the error message "Could not initialize BDE. Directory
in use by earlier version of Paradox".
I use Delphi 7 Enterprise and is the first time I experience this kind of
error.
What should I do?
Thank's

Re:Database desktop

Stephen M wrote:
With no obvious reason the Database Desktop crashed and after that when I try
to open it, I get the error message "Could not initialize BDE. Directory in
use by earlier version of Paradox". What should I do?
the lock files were not blown away completely in the crash.. the Remlok32
utility on my Downloads page can help you find and remove them.. and/or just
find and blow away the lock files..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Database desktop

I did all that but the problem still exists. Any other suggestion?
? "Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >?????? ??? ??????
Delete the *.LCK files in the directory that contains your tables and
try again.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Database desktop

Stephen M wrote:
I did all that but the problem still exists. Any other suggestion?
did you reboot?
did you run my Remlok32 utility, to see if it found files that you didn't
find?
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Database desktop

Yes, I did search my entire computer for PDOXUSRS.LCK and PARADOX.LCK and
delete all of them.
Yes, I did run Remlok32 utility.
Yes, I did reboot.
... but the problem still remains.

Re:Database desktop

Stephen M wrote:
... but the problem still remains.
the "older version" error message means that the BDE found a free-standing
Paradox.lck file in one of your data directories.. when it's found in
conjunction with a Pdoxusrs.lck file, it's there to tell old DOS 3.x apps
(PdoxDOS or the Paradox Engine) to stay away.. when it's found all by itself,
it is assumed to *belong* to one of those old apps..
occasionally, an normal BDE app will abort in such manner that the
Pdoxusrs.lck file gets deleted, but the Paradox.lck file doesn't.. that's
what must have happened here..
that old lock file *must* be there somewhere, or that error message couldn't
occur..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Database desktop

Ok.
I searched system folders and hidden files and folders and I found it in the
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp.
By the way I use Windows XP.
Thank you.
? "Steven Green" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >?????? ??? ??????
Stephen M wrote:

>... but the problem still remains.

the "older version" error message means that the BDE found a free-standing
Paradox.lck file in one of your data directories.. when it's found in
conjunction with a Pdoxusrs.lck file, it's there to tell old DOS 3.x apps
(PdoxDOS or the Paradox Engine) to stay away.. when it's found all by
itself,
it is assumed to *belong* to one of those old apps..

occasionally, an normal BDE app will abort in such manner that the
Pdoxusrs.lck file gets deleted, but the Paradox.lck file doesn't.. that's
what must have happened here..

that old lock file *must* be there somewhere, or that error message
couldn't
occur..

--
Steven Green - Waldorf Maryland USA

Stephen M wrote:
I searched system folders and hidden files and folders and I found it in the
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp.
excellent.. that was your private directory for Paradox (the Desktop).. I knew
it was there *someplace*..
By the way I use Windows XP.
that's obvious from the folder name <g>
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Database desktop

i have D7 and am trying to create a MSSQL table using the database
desktop. when i try to save it i get 2 error messages on is "chosen
alias is not of type MSSQL" and the other is "invalid file extention"
anyone ever run into this problem? could someone help me out please?

Re:Database desktop

I received by a magazine the Delphi version 6 for free.
I started to program and I came at the item to make databases.
I read in the book I buy that in the components menu there must be an
item "database desktop" and in the controls I must find an datasource
component and table component.
I can't find those components.
Must I download somewhere these components??
Txs.

Re:Database desktop

If this is Delphi 6 Personal Edition, you can not use Databases in this
version.
You must buy Delphi 6 Professional Edition.
There are ways to use databases (some free) in the personal edition, other
people in this newsgroup will probably "chime in" with the names of those
products.
"WeVeO" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I received by a magazine the Delphi version 6 for free.
I started to program and I came at the item to make databases.
I read in the book I buy that in the components menu there must be an
item "database desktop" and in the controls I must find an datasource
component and table component.
I can't find those components.
Must I download somewhere these components??
Txs.

Re:Database desktop

When you choose to sort a file using the Database Desktop what actually
takes place?
Thank you,
Charlie

Re:Database desktop

I assume you are sorting a Paradox table. If the table has no indices
then the records are physically sorted. You cannot sort a table that
has a primary key. To view a keyed table in a different order create an
index for the order you want and make it the active index.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
Charlie wrote:
When you choose to sort a file using the Database Desktop what
actually takes place?
Thank you,
Charlie

Re:Database desktop

Thanks Bill. I'm using dBase files. Would you point me in the direction of
how to sort using Delphi code?
Charlie
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I assume you are sorting a Paradox table. If the table has no indices
then the records are physically sorted. You cannot sort a table that
has a primary key. To view a keyed table in a different order create an
index for the order you want and make it the active index.

Re:Database desktop

I have had very little experience with dBase tables. The easy way to
sort is to use indexes. If you want to performa physical sort of a
non-keyed table I assume you have to use the BDE API as you do with
Paradox tables. The following works for Paradox tables. See the BDE API
help file for details.
procedure dgSortTable(
Db: TDatabase; {Database that contains table
to sort.}
SortTbl: TTable; {TTable to sort.}
const SortFields: array of Word; {Numbers of fields to sort on.}
const SortCase: array of Bool; {True for case insensitive
sort.}
const SortOrd: array of SORTOrder; {sortASCEND or sortDESCEND.}
RemoveDups: Boolean); {True to delete duplicate
records.}
{Sorts an unkeyed table into itself. The TDatabase
passed as the first parameter must be connected.
The TTable passed as the second parameter must be
closed. If an exclusive lock cannot be obtained on
the table an EDBEngineError exception will be
raised.
Note: The field number in the SortFields array is 1 based, not zero
based.
To get the correct number use:
SortTable.FieldByName('SomeField').Index + 1;
}
var
pTblName: array[0..DBIMAXPATHLEN] of char; {Table name.}
NumRecs: LongInt; {Number of records to
sort.}
SortFldCount: Word; {Number of fields to
sort on.}
begin
AnsiToNative(Db.Locale, SortTbl.TableName, pTblName, DBIMAXPATHLEN);
StrPCopy(pTblName, SortTbl.TableName);
SortFldCount := High(SortFields) + 1;
Check(DBISortTable(Db.Handle,
pTblName,