Session.addPassword results in error $251E

2003-10-07 02:18:53 AM
off-topic19
Hey,
I'm using a Delphi-application (with paradox) that cause the error $251E
when executing the statement Session.addPassword(). The error appears an a
Windows 2000 Pro system
I've already tried to increase the SHAREDMEMSIZE in de BDE Aministrator and
I've also altered the SHAREDMEMLOCATION to 0x5BDE but that didn't change
anything.
The BDE-version that I'm using (IDAPI32.DLL-version) is 5.0.1.22.
Is there any solution available for that problem ?
Thanks in advance

Re:Session.addPassword results in error $251E

I've tried some of the locations (for SharedMemLocation) that are specified
in the on-line help, but that had no effect at all.
Is it possible that the problem is caused by insufficent user-rights ?
The problem occurs also on a Window XP Home Edition with 3 users (with
administrator-rights) : the program works as it should for 2 users, but for
1 it results in the error $251E.
Can someone tell me what rigths (registry and/or disk access?is needed to
run a BDE-based program ?
Thanks,
Steven
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
$251e is "insufficient shared memory available". The only known cause
of that error is insufficient shared memory. That said, this is the
first time I have heard of that error being triggered by a call to
Session.AddPassword. The only thing I can suggest is to increase
SharedMemSize from 2048 to 4096 and try some of the locations
specified in the on-line help to see if that cures the problem.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Session.addPassword results in error $251E

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:22:13 +0200, "Steven"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I've tried some of the locations (for SharedMemLocation) that are specified
in the on-line help, but that had no effect at all.
Is it possible that the problem is caused by insufficent user-rights ?
I have never heard of that message being caused by insufficient
rights.
The problem occurs also on a Window XP Home Edition with 3 users (with
administrator-rights) : the program works as it should for 2 users, but for
1 it results in the error $251E.

Can someone tell me what rigths (registry and/or disk access?is needed to
run a BDE-based program ?
Read/write access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Borland\Database
Engine and read/write access to the BDE directory.
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Session.addPassword results in error $251E

under XP we always leave sharedmemlocation to blank and set sharedmemsize to
4096 ou more
under w2000 we always set sharedmemlocation with 0x5BDE and set
sharedmemsize to 4096 ou more
We have installed more than one hundred PC on w2000, or TS or Citrix
Metaframe, and more thousands under XP Pro and Home.
It always works.
If not, you may have a memory conflict with a device or antivirus or
firewall ...
regards
Jean-Michel

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>$251e is "insufficient shared memory available". The only known cause
>of that error is insufficient shared memory. That said, this is the
>first time I have heard of that error being triggered by a call to
>Session.AddPassword. The only thing I can suggest is to increase
>SharedMemSize from 2048 to 4096 and try some of the locations
>specified in the on-line help to see if that cures the problem.
>

>--
>Bill (TeamB)
>(TeamB cannot respond to questions received via email)

Re:Session.addPassword results in error $251E

Thanks Bill,
On XP the problem is solved by disabling 'compatibility mode'.
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
There is one other thing you should try on XP. Change the
compatibility mode setting for your EXE so that it does not run in
compatibility mode and see if that solves the problem.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Session.addPassword results in error $251E

Thanks Bill,
On XP the problem is solved by disabling 'compatibility mode'.
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
There is one other thing you should try on XP. Change the
compatibility mode setting for your EXE so that it does not run in
compatibility mode and see if that solves the problem.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Session.addPassword results in error $251E

>Can someone tell me what rigths (registry and/or disk access?is needed to
>run a BDE-based program ?
Read/write access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Borland\Database
Engine and read/write access to the BDE directory.
the question is about running the app, I know the user needs this read/write
to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for installing the bde, but is this true for running a
BDE app also?