Corrupt file other than header

I've been using the BDE with Paradox databases for several systems. I use
Delphi 6, BDE 5.2.
Suddenly, I have introduced a problem into a program that can cause a
"corrupt file other than header".
This happens on 2 completely separate systems; one with a peer-to-peer
network with Windows 2000 Server; the other with a Novell network.
What can cause this situation? The program does not crash or even hang up.
Records are added to an newly rebuilt table (in use for a long time). The
next time records are added to the same table, the above message comes up.
The program inserts a record, changes fields, posts. I'm at a loss where to
look for something that I shouldn't be able to cause programmatically.
Any help or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
Linda Scherzer