Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

Bob Dawson wrote:
Borland is probably between a rock and a hard place on this. While the
announcement would no doubt boost conference attendance, that might
not be as important an effect overall as the other effects it would
have--if they announce positively that D8 will be half-price at
BorCon, then they undercut their retailers and possibly suppress
initial sales. Those aren't things I'd be in any hurry to do.
Really don't think so! If you follow the posts in Delphi non-tech, it is
repeated ad nauseam that Borland has so and so many million customers,
and the 3000 +- coming to Borcon should not have any of the influence
you indicate at all.
On the contrary, if I am not completely wrong, my "sweet brother" Anders
Ohlsson promised (me) us a product on the rebate program, not yet
released. Was it two or three years ago??
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

Bob Dawson wrote:
Selling 3000 copies at half price may not be significant, but
publicly advertising the intent to do so in front of those millions
is quite another thing. For example, it might be the case that
Borland's bulk deals with major retailers would include a provision
guaranteeing them that Borland will not advertise a price less
than what they're paying.
I doubt this. The price, as far as I remember, has not been specified at
earlier Borcons. It has just been said that you can select products by
certain rules and will get a conference rebate.
This applies to most conferences, and exhibitions in particular.
The price has to be calculated like this:
(Conference fee + lodging + travel + product price) - product discount.
It will still be more expensive than going to the local dealer.
You can't just knock on the conference door and purchase products at
half price.
Additionally, there is the problem of 'perceived value'; how happy
are your million customers going to be if they can see on the web
for six months that they're being asked to pay twice what other
people are paying?
The same as always, Nothing. Mostly I go to local warehouses and dealers
to buy what I need, am satisfied with the price, even if I know that my
neighbor who went to an exhibition got an unbeatable offer.
That's the way it works.
it may be of much greater value to delight the 3000 who attend by
actually including it in the discount unannounced, than to
anger/exclude the rest of the market by broadly advertising a price
intended for only a select few.
This offer has made it much more attractive to go to Borcon. And it has
to be announced. It was like that in the past, and will be so, I hope.
Don't know--there might be an assurance given here by one Borlander
or another as the conference nears. But I really don't expect it as
a matter of policy. Borland is saying 'selected
products'--whatever the thnking behind it, that approach didn't
come about by accident or oversight.
I'll stay home if it is pure luck what products I can get a bargain on.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

"Ingvar Nilsen" wrote
This offer has made it much more attractive to go to Borcon. And
it has to be announced. It was like that in the past, and will be so,
I hope.
I rather hope it is as well. I just don't expect it to be.
bobD

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

Mike Packard wrote:
I think to some people even more important than the calculated value
are two things:

1) The perception that you're getting a great deal on an expensive
product.

2) The illusion that "Borland Cares" and is willing to give its
"loyal" developers and conference-junkies an exceptional and
exclusive deal for attendance.
Agreed!
I am in both categories. I want to feel wanted and important -- the
money
is secondary.
For you, living in the neighborhood maybe, for me coming over the pond +
the US continent - a good software bargain may be the decisive factor!
--

Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
For you, living in the neighborhood maybe, for me coming over the pond +
the US continent - a good software bargain may be the decisive factor!
Understood!

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

In borland.public.conference, Ingvar Nilsen
<telcontr@[Remove-This-Part]online.no>wrote in message
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
I would be willing to say a couple of words, if nobody else
volunteers :->
I too could bore the crowd at least as badly as James Gosling did last year.
I can be uninteresting if I really try. <g>

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:15:33 -0500, "Captain Jake"
<johnj[nospam]@comcast.net>wrote:
James Gosling
He was surprisingly uninteresting, wasn't he.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

In borland.public.conference, "Nick Hodges (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote in message < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
>James Gosling

He was surprisingly uninteresting, wasn't he.
Yeah. I was all e{*word*277}d about hearing from the high priest of Java, but the
reality was so mundane that I actually saw a number of people walk out
toward the middle and end.
Man, I'd love to see them get Bill Gates to speak. That would be absolutely
wild.

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

"Captain Jake" wrote
Actually for the 20 year thing, Nicholas Wirth would be hoot (though I
suppose only for the Delphi contingent). His little kid language has all
grown up.
bobD

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:15:36 -0500, "Captain Jake"
<johnj[nospam]@comcast.net>wrote:
Man, I'd love to see them get Bill Gates to speak. That would be absolutely
wild.
That would be great, too. Don't discount the possibility.

Nick Hodges (TeamB) wrote:
>Man, I'd love to see them get Bill Gates to speak. That would be
absolutely
>wild.

That would be great, too. Don't discount the possibility.
Even greater would be to have someone come here and speak up regarding
the select products offer.
What I need to know is:
1) Product list
2) Availability for non US residents
In exactly one week the early bird offer is due.
If the above is not clear by then, at least one participant this year
will be missing. Me.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 21:31:04 +0200, Ingvar Nilsen
<telcontr@[Remove-This-Part]online.no>wrote:
Even greater would be to have someone come here and speak up regarding
the select products offer.
It would be nice, yes.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 14:51:18 -0500, "Nick Hodges (TeamB)"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
It would be nice, yes.
Well, there you go.
But I know what the next question is going to be......<g>
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re:Re: Who's doing the Keynotes this year?

"Ingvar Nilsen" <telcontr@[Remove-This-Part]online.no>wrote in message
Same here. I will not decide until I know what products I can buy with
the Borcon rebate. (Or better - can I buy D8 using the discount? :-)
You can Buy the next version of Delphi at the conference using the
discount - pricing for the next version is not available yet, but it will be
available by the time of, or before, the conference.

"Bob Dawson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Borland is probably between a rock and a hard place on this. While the
announcement would no doubt boost conference attendance, that might not be
as important an effect overall as the other effects it would have--if they
announce positively that D8 will be half-price at BorCon, then they
undercut
their retailers and possibly suppress initial sales. Those aren't things
I'd
be in any hurry to do.
we're just fine here. We'll always allow you to order products that are
available or will be available within 30 days - that's the max time we can
hold check or credit card orders. There is not retailer effects - this is a
special offer for conference attendees only.