A free tool for table repair (corrupt table/index header) is wanted.

2004-02-25 05:58:03 PM
off-topic6
dtutil32 and Pdxrbld.exe can't fix the error :(((
any suggestions?
thank you.

Re:A free tool for table repair (corrupt table/index header) is wanted.

Alex wrote:
dtutil32 and Pdxrbld.exe can't fix the error :(((
the repair tools are *not* guaranteed to fix every error, every time..
if you can get into the table, or an old backup of the table.. export to
ascii, make a new table, import from thr ascii..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:A free tool for table repair (corrupt table/index header) is wanted.

I've always had good luck with "Table Scanner"
(netpage.em.com.br/demianh/). You need Delphi for this to work, as
it builds a .pas file with code to rebuild your Paradox database. You also
need an intact copy of your database so that it can construct the .pas file
to use in your code. (You call a function in the unit built by table
scanner, passing it the location of your DB, and it reconstructs the DB
based on the code in the .pas file).
As Steve said though, you can't always fix every kind of corruption, but
this tool works well for me at fixing most things. If you pass a UNC path
to the rebuilding function, it must be one that does have a drive mapping,
or the function will fail. I bought the source code and modified it to get
around this.
However, if you just need to fix something, and you have delphi, you can
probably use the 'free' shareware trial (I think it still works in a trial
mode).
Chris
"Alex" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

dtutil32 and Pdxrbld.exe can't fix the error :(((
any suggestions?

thank you.

{smallsort}

C P wrote:
I've always had good luck with "Table Scanner"
this one is new to me.. if it doesn't use a wrapper around the regular table
repair DLL to do that stuff, that's significant.. there's only one other
product that I know of (ChimneySweep) that does *not* use the regular table
repair DLL in any way..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:A free tool for table repair (corrupt table/index header) is wanted.

dtutil32 and Pdxrbld.exe can't fix the error :(((
any suggestions?
DataSentry might be useful. I used it many many years ago and it worked
well then.
www.logicprocess.com
David R.

Re:A free tool for table repair (corrupt table/index header) is wanted.

It's been around for a long time. It uses the BDE API rather than the
'standard' repair .dll. I just happened to find this years ago before I
found the 'standard' utility, and this one has always worked well for me.

--
Steven Green - Waldorf Maryland USA

C P wrote:
It's been around for a long time. It uses the BDE API rather than the
'standard' repair .dll.
but that seems to indicate that it's just a wrapper around the regular repair
tool, and therefore should get the same results..
the wrapper at rksolutions adds a couple of things to the standard package..
ChimneySweep is a *completely* independent tool.. and everything else I've
ever seen is just a wrapper..
FWIW.. the repair tool has a couple of unique features that ChimneySweep
doesn't, and vice versa.. for my money, you want *both*..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:A free tool for table repair (corrupt table/index header) is wanted.

>It's been around for a long time. It uses the BDE API rather than the
>'standard' repair .dll.

but that seems to indicate that it's just a wrapper around the regular
repair
tool, and therefore should get the same results..

Not quite. It only uses the functions provided by idapi32.dll (and/or other
BDE .dll's). It doesn't require anything beyond the BDE files, and the
TblScn.dll. TblScn.dll is something the author of this tool wrote himself
to call the standard BDE functions. The TUtility.dll's are not used or
required.
This seems to be fairly similar to Chimney Sweep in terms of functionality.
What you do is scan your database (with an included app from the author) and
that produces a MakeDB.pas file that knows how to construct all of the
fields, indexes, value checks, etc. for your database. When you call a
function from this MakeDB.pas, it'll recreate all of the indexes etc. on a
'bad' database, add missing values checks etc., or even create new tables.
It can also fix a number of corruptions - but definitely not all. It can be
used to update your database structure too (with some limitations). When it
'rebuilds' a database, it also takes some info in some hidden files that it
can then use to help it during subsequent repairs. I'm not sure exactly
what goes in those hidden files, but they're not big.
The main downside to Table Scanner is that you have to build the MakeDB.pas
into a Delphi project, and have that project call the function to actually
rebuild the database.
I haven't ever used the TUtility stuff or ChimneySweep so I can't really
comment on whether one works better.

C P wrote:
It only uses the functions provided by idapi32.dll (and/or other BDE .dll's).
It doesn't require anything beyond the BDE files, and the TblScn.dll.
TblScn.dll is something the author of this tool wrote himself to call the
standard BDE functions. The TUtility.dll's are not used or required.
from your description of the processes, sounds to me like the MakeDB.pas is
building a data dictionary, then using the standard BDE calls to make a new
table, then passing the data to the new table.. since 99% of all "damaged
tables" are just table-and-index synch issues, you *don't* need the repair tools
themselves to fix that.. but even if that's its' limit, it is still a very handy
tool to have around.. and maybe there is a bit of "black magic" in his own
stuff.. even better <smile>
This seems to be fairly similar to Chimney Sweep in terms of functionality. I
haven't ever used the TUtility stuff or ChimneySweep so I can't really comment
on whether one works better.
you really need both for the once-in-a-blue-moon situation where you've got
*real* table damage, such as can be seen as a result of failing drives,
cross-linked files, power damage, etc.. both do excellent repair work in a
crunch..
ChimneySweep let's you do "batch validations" and automated repairs of your
tables with results you can rely on, and great follow-up reports..
the Borland repair tool does a *lousy* job of validating w/o repairing, but it
does tests for "low ascii characters", "floating point" errors, "not a number"
errors, and other signs of truely farkled files, that ChimneySweep doesn't do..
but it doesn't do the same tests on date fields (nor does ChimneySweep), so in
that same extreme situation where you know the date fields will be problematic,
too, you have to do date queries and analysis to find the geek values yourself..

"David R. Robinson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>dtutil32 and Pdxrbld.exe can't fix the error :(((
>any suggestions?

DataSentry might be useful. I used it many many years ago and it worked
well then.

www.logicprocess.com
I can't understand how to repair the table in the DataSentry. Where is the repair option?

Re:A free tool for table repair (corrupt table/index header) is wanted.

I can't understand how to repair the table in the DataSentry. Where is the
repair option?
I don't know. I haven't used it in years and I have no need for it right
now. You might try their tech support.
David R.