Pages rendering oddly with Safari

I've entered a couple of QC reports about problems with the website
using Apple's Safari Web Browser. The newest edition of BDN has some
mild visual problems. (weird overlaps mostly) I'd rather not get a
reputation as, "that Apple Fanboy who drives us nuts with his Safari
Issues." Are these reports welcome, or should I just ignore them if
they're just visual?
--
-David

Re:Pages rendering oddly with Safari

David Dean wrote:
Are these reports welcome, or should I just ignore them if
they're just visual?
They are quite welcome. Please report any problems at all that you
have with Safari.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

David Dean wrote:
Are these reports welcome, or should I just ignore them if
they're just visual?
They're certainly welcome. They're even more useful if you can report
whether the problem only happens with Safari or with other browsers you
may have installed as well.
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

{smallsort}

Re:Pages rendering oddly with Safari

In article <42a9bbd3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>
wrote:
They're certainly welcome. They're even more useful if you can report
whether the problem only happens with Safari or with other browsers you
may have installed as well.
Thanks guys.
<qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx>

David Dean wrote:
<qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx>
<qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx>
<qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx>
Wow, those are some ugly screenshots! :-) Some questions:
* In IE, the primary navigation menu (Application Lifecycle, IDE,
Application Middleware, More Resources) is separated into 4 lines. Does
that happen only on bdn.borland.com or also on other BDN sites like QC,
EventCentral, CodeCentral, etc.? What about on the main www.borland.com
site?
* Same questions for the Search label.
* Same questions for the BDN tabs (Articles, TV & Radio, Examples,
Events, Books, ...), though obviously you can't compare www.borland.com
for this one.
* If you look at the top set of borland site tabs (Borland.com, Borland
Developer Network, Borland Support Central, Borland University,
Worldwide Sites) in Safari, there are essentially 3 horizontal lines.
There's the one that's basically the bottom border of the tabs. Below
that there's a smooth horizontal line across the whole window. Between
those two there's a kind of broken, jagged, mostly horizontal line that
only appears under the unselected tabs (not Borland Developer Network).
Same questions about that 3rd line. Does that appear on the other BDN
sites and/or on the main site?
* Those borland site tabs are a disaster in IE. The only one I can even
see is Borland.com. Same questions again.
* Last but not least, we come to tbe BDN and Print links. Same
questions again. The names will be different on the main site, but it
should still have links in each location (should be left and far right).
Do they display correctly?
Basically I'm just trying to narrow down the scope of the problem (and
whether I need to do anything about it or if it's someone else's problem
;-).
--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]

Re:Pages rendering oddly with Safari

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Wow, those are some ugly screenshots! :-) Some questions:
I was reticent to report them, but they really render badly. In fact
IE renders them so badly, I haven't filed reports for IE because I don't
know where to start.
* In IE, the primary navigation menu (Application Lifecycle, IDE,
Application Middleware, More Resources) is separated into 4 lines. Does
that happen only on bdn.borland.com or also on other BDN sites like QC,
EventCentral, CodeCentral, etc.? What about on the main www.borland.com
site?
All borland sites render the navigation menus top to bottom instead
of side to side. When you mouse over one, it highlights correctly, the
drop down menu shows up below the other menu choices, but the one which
was below shows up beside the one you moused over. (IE 5.2 for mac was
the last version that microsoft released for OS X, and it has real
problems with style sheets)
* Same questions for the Search label.
The search label looks the same on all Borland web sites.
* Same questions for the BDN tabs (Articles, TV & Radio, Examples,
Events, Books, ...), though obviously you can't compare www.borland.com
for this one.
The BDN tabs show the same across BDN, except the one which was last
selected is highlighted in red.
* If you look at the top set of borland site tabs (Borland.com, Borland
Developer Network, Borland Support Central, Borland University,
Worldwide Sites) in Safari, there are essentially 3 horizontal lines.
There's the one that's basically the bottom border of the tabs. Below
that there's a smooth horizontal line across the whole window. Between
those two there's a kind of broken, jagged, mostly horizontal line that
only appears under the unselected tabs (not Borland Developer Network).
Same questions about that 3rd line. Does that appear on the other BDN
sites and/or on the main site?
The third line appears on all the sites, but the position of the
blank spot changes depending on which tab is selected.
* Those borland site tabs are a disaster in IE. The only one I can even
see is Borland.com. Same questions again.
The Borland.com one is the only one visible on any Borland site in IE.
* Last but not least, we come to tbe BDN and Print links. Same
questions again. The names will be different on the main site, but it
should still have links in each location (should be left and far right).
Do they display correctly?
Strangely, on QC they look OK with Safari, but not with IE. On BDN,
they look OK with IE, but not with Safari.
Basically I'm just trying to narrow down the scope of the problem (and
whether I need to do anything about it or if it's someone else's problem
;-).
I know I should put in separate reports for the IE rendering bugs,
but I really doubt that many mac users still use it. I'm going to
download Firefox and Camino to see how they render the sites as well.
--
-David