Messages kept 30 days only?

2003-08-25 01:07:41 AM
off-topic17
I've just recently resubscribed to .bde group.
I see only a very few messages older than 30 days. Even some whose headers
I downloaded yesterday are 'message not available on server' today.
Are messages here now deleted after 30 days?
I know the bde is being 'deprecated'. But this seems like a *real* short
time to keep knowledge.
Tony
"I woke up and was able to get myself out of bed.
Being that fortunate, what's to complain about?"
_____________

Re:Messages kept 30 days only?

Hi Tony,
Unfortunately this has been the case for many years. Perhaps pnews could do
with the b.p.bde what it has done for comp.databases.paradox
Leslie.
"Tony McGuire" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

I've just recently resubscribed to .bde group.

I see only a very few messages older than 30 days. Even some whose
headers
I downloaded yesterday are 'message not available on server' today.

Are messages here now deleted after 30 days?

I know the bde is being 'deprecated'. But this seems like a *real* short
time to keep knowledge.

Paradox Addons www.thedbaddons.com

Tony

Re:Messages kept 30 days only?

Unfortunately, I think that Borland would have to cooperate.
While the label of the group has 'public' in the name, it is not one of
those 'comp' or 'alt' type newsgroups that are propagated everywhere.
We need a 'feed' of the posts. I MIGHT be able to set up a 'sucking feed'.
But I doubt Borland would appreciate that.
So, while I set up a group on that server as 'pnews.public.bde' (on Sunday,
in anticipation), it will only be filled with posts sent directly there.
I wish there were a better way of doing it. And if Borland were willing to
cooperate I'd certainly do what I could to offer that group as an alternate
location for entry of posts (that got posted to the borland group); as well
as an archive of questions/answers that currently must get repeated MANY
times over the course of a year.
Tony
"I woke up and was able to get myself out of bed.
Being that fortunate, what's to complain about?"
_____________

{smallsort}

Re:Messages kept 30 days only?

Bill Todd < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I am not sure what the cutoff time is for messages but it is the same
for this group as for all of the other Borland newsgroups. The best
way to find old messages or, for that matter, messages on any topic is
to use Google groups.
I believe 30 days is correct. And, for the record, there are
currently three archives that can be searched for the older messages.
Follow the links at
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group