Storing CodeWright Project file in version control?

2003-11-18 11:11:07 PM
off-topic6
Hi,
We would like to store the CodeWright project file along with
our source files in a version control system (right now we're
using Visual Source Safe). Unfortunately it looks like the
.pjt file contains references to absolute paths that may
prevent this from working. We were able to get rid of some of
the paths (like the Edit Search Path), but not others (like
the path to the symbol file). Also, it looks like CodeWright
stores other references to files with absolute paths (like
history).
So I guess my questions are:
- Has anyone been able to remove all absolute paths from the
.pjt file so that multiple developers (with slightly different
PC setups) could all use the same project file without
modification? If so, what were the steps you had to take
to craft the proper .pjt file?
- Does the .psp file need to be stored as well?
Thanks in advance for any information you might provide on this
topic!
Best Regards,
Chris

Re:Storing CodeWright Project file in version control?

Thinking about CodeWright projects a different way may be helpful. Maybe
you are already aware of the implications. Maybe you are not. Here's an
illustration of the enormity of the issue ...
Go to Tools | Customize ... | Environment | File Options and check the
setting of "Save files on loss of focus"
Set another project as current.
Go to Tools | Customize ... | Environment | File Options and check the
setting of "Save files on loss of focus". Change it so it is different from
the setting in the previous project.
Set the previous project as current.
Go to Tools | Customize ... | Environment | File Options and check the
setting of "Save files on loss of focus". Note that it is unchanged.
Conclusion ... this is one of the MANY environment parameters that is
maintained on a project-by-project basis.
All of my projects have that option turned on. I can 't imagine how
annoying it would be to have 100 projects where 99 of them had it on and one
had it off because someone else liked it that way.
I think you will want a solution where each of the programmers has their own
version of the CodeWright project so their environment can be customized the
way they like to work.
I don't share Project data with another developer. Perhaps some people with
shared CodeWrighht Project Spaces on servers will chime in with regards to
the pitfalls of sharing CodeWright project data.
--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlaNET.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.

On 18 Nov 2003 08:11:07 -0700, "Chris_SC" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
We would like to store the CodeWright project file along with
our source files in a version control system (right now we're
using Visual Source Safe). Unfortunately it looks like the
.pjt file contains references to absolute paths that may
prevent this from working. We were able to get rid of some of
the paths (like the Edit Search Path), but not others (like
the path to the symbol file). Also, it looks like CodeWright
stores other references to files with absolute paths (like
history).
My recommendation echoes Thom's; this is not a good idea. There is
way too much personal editor state info in these project files. From
the same perspective, you would check in the DSP and DSW files from
Msft VC++ 6.0 but not the OPT and NCB files.
As long as the CW projects have the "sync with makefile" settings
turned on, there should be no need to check in the CW files.
---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph Kiernan
Seattle, WA

{smallsort}

Joseph_K wrote:

As long as the CW projects have the "sync with makefile" settings
turned on, there should be no need to check in the CW files.
Hey, that's something I've been meaning to work with!
Are there any pointers to what the makefile should look like?
My makefiles are all hand written, not generated by VC
or another IDE.
newell

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:49:05 -0600, Scott Newell < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Joseph_K wrote:

>As long as the CW projects have the "sync with makefile" settings
>turned on, there should be no need to check in the CW files.

Are there any pointers to what the makefile should look like?
My makefiles are all hand written, not generated by VC
or another IDE.
Take a look at the list of known formats in the dialog from menu
/project/properties/members/external makefile/read user makefile
My guess is you are probably looking for NMAKE or Codewright.
It has been too long since I worked with any Borland compilers
to remember what format their files are in.
Because I like to build stuff both inside and outside the Msft
IDEs, I create/update the Msft project files inside the IDE, export
a makefile from there for external usage, and sync the CW project
files off the Msft project files.
I use the makefile via a batch file to build and view errors
inside CW.
Joseph Kiernan
Seattle, WA