Re: Conference requests

2006-06-22 12:09:26 AM
off-topic5
"Jim Cooper" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

>Isn't that what I said?

No, you said "many", and unless you're a musician where "many" starts at
5... :-)

I was privy to discussions among several of the better known Europe-based
speakers, and most were not offered expenses, and hence did not submit
papers.

It is self-selecting.
Most were not going to have their expenses paid.
Many of those didn't go.
A significant % of the remaining speakers did have
their expenses covered = many.
--
Thanks,
Brad.

Re:Re: Conference requests

"Jim Cooper" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I won't be applying this year, BTW, so don't let that stop you trying to
get some of these things in place.

I'm sorry to hear that. I always look forward
to your sessions.
What if they offered a free conference registration?
--
Thanks,
Brad.

Re:Re: Conference requests

"Nick Hodges (Borland/DevCo)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Jim Cooper wrote:

>And I'll stand by mine.

I never disputed yours. ;-)

>The fact remains that Borland not paying expenses last year put
>"many"* non-US speakers off.

Yep, we are all too well aware of that.

We'll be doing everything we can to ensure that everyone is included
and that everyone that can make it, does make it. We certainly want to
do what we can to get all the best and popular speakers to the
conference.

Well that certainly sounds better.
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nickblog
Um, all it says is that it is deprecated.
THIS BLOG IS MOVING.....AGAIN!
--
Thanks,
Brad.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Conference requests

Brad White wrote:
Well that certainly sounds better.
Hey, it's not like we sat around trying to think of ways to make this
all harder for folks. ;-) Quite the contrary. We're totally open to
creative ways to be as inclusive as we can.
Um, all it says is that it is deprecated.
Thanks -- should be fixed.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - Borland/DevCo
Read my Blog -- blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re:Re: Conference requests

Brad White wrote:
What if they offered a free conference registration?
They do.
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:Re: Conference requests

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:449976a3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Brad White wrote:
>"Jim Cooper" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>Another suggestion is that Borland not try and make a big deal out of
>>"FREE
>>conference registration" (Borland's emphasis) for speakers
>>That's pretty much a given for these types of conferences. It does
>>really annoy
>>some (several of whom are now ex-)speakers
>>
>>I won't be applying this year, BTW,

>What if they offered a free conference registration?

They do.
Sorry Craig, I should have included a smiley in my
response to Jim.
--
Thanks,
Brad.

Re:Re: Conference requests

I'm sorry to hear that. I always look forward
to your sessions.
Thanks :-)
What if they offered a free conference registration?
They are, and they did last year. It should be a given that speakers get in to
the conference for free. IME all developer conferences are like that. What else
could you do, have a security guard to escort speakers off the premises after
each talk? :-)
I know it got up some speakers' noses last year how such a big deal was made of
that being some sort of special thing.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Skype : jim.cooper
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re:Re: Conference requests

It is self-selecting.
Indeed :-)

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I won't be applying this year, BTW, so don't let that stop you
>trying to get some of these things in place.

I'm sorry to hear that. I always look forward
to your sessions.
Fly to England, buy Jim a couple of rounds, get him on the plain. Land,
give him a few more beers, let him sleep it over. Does his session,
give him a few more beers and put him back on the plane. Optionally fly
back with him to give him a few more beers when you land in England.

Re:Re: Conference requests

give him a few more beers, let him sleep it over. Does his session
Damn, I knew I was doing something in the wrong order. At least I got the beers
right :-)
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Skype : jim.cooper
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re:Re: Conference requests

We'll be doing everything we can to ensure that everyone is included
and that everyone that can make it, does make it. We certainly want
to do what we can to get all the best and popular speakers to the
conference.
Not to be pushy, but are you going to re-evaluate the issue of covering
speaker expenses? Because considering the deadline for the C4P is on
the 3rd of July, it would be good to know. Or do you recommend those
that want to submit do and then based on a later decision, go or not go
if accepted?

Re:Re: Conference requests

Jim Cooper wrote:
Damn, I knew I was doing something in the wrong order.
At least I got the beers right :-)
LOL!
I gotta hear a JCooper lecture now :-)
JoeH

Re:Re: Conference requests

Hi Jim,
They are, and they did last year. It should be a given that speakers get in to
the conference for free. IME all developer conferences are like that.
I've also never had the experience of speaking at a conference where I
was expected to pay to attend (the rest) of the conference. And I've
been speaking to a few dozen now (for more then a decade)...
I know it got up some speakers' noses last year how such a big deal was made of
that being some sort of special thing.
I just laughed about it. It sure was a big difference from two years ago
when all speakers not only got their flight and hotel covered, but also
a small stipend for sessions (if more than two I believe) and conference
shirt (only when papers were submitted in time, if I recall correctly,
right ol' man? ;-)).
The main technical thing I had a problem with last year was the
last-minute request to use Camtasia to capture the session. With only a
few days left, I had to install a trial version on my laptop, hoping it
wouldn't interfere with the configuration for my sessions (which it
didn't, but it's not something I would recommend doing a few days before
you leave home)...
However, another major issue that I was able to just avoid last year is
the passport issue. Last year, I still had a passport which was issued
before a certain date (Oct 26th of some year) so it was not yet required
to have the chip with biometrical data on it. This year, however, I need
to get a new passport (it's valid until Jan 2007, so I need to get a new
one anyway - even for my visit to the UK in October). And from what I've
heard, the latest Dutch editions of the passport are not good enough
(yet) to enter the US. Not without a visa. Sigh. I'm planning to visit
the US Embassy in The Hague next month to get the final word on this,
but I'm not holding my breath... :-(
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Groetjes,
Bob Swart
Blog: www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: drbob42.com/weblog.xml
New Delphi 2006 Courseware e-books at www.eBob42.com/courseware

Re:Re: Conference requests

Hadi Hariri wrote:

Not to be pushy, but are you going to re-evaluate the issue of
covering speaker expenses?
Yeah, sure -- though if the funding isn't there, it isn't there.
Let me make this clear: There is nothing we'd rather do than fully
fund all the speakers regardless of where they are from. We're not
being "cheap" here -- we'll do everything we can.
Or do you recommend those
that want to submit do and then based on a later decision, go or not
go if accepted?
I'd recommend that if you have an inkling to speak, put in your
abstracts.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - Borland/DevCo
Read my Blog -- blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re:Re: Conference requests

(only when papers were submitted in time, if I recall correctly,
right ol' man? ;-)).
I did! Except for one year where I didn't get told whether they wanted one paper
until after the deadline
This year, however, I need to get a new passport
Ah, bummer