BDE/ADO interaction on XP SP2

Hi
I've posted this in the ado group as well but as it concerns BDE and ADO I
thought I'd post here.
I have a program, in use by many thousands of users. It uses the BDE
indirectly (via a third party application API) to connect to a database. It
also optionally uses ADO to connect directly to the database (read only) for
higher performance.
We've had reports of it failing just after XP SP2 is installed indicating a
problem when BDE tries to initialise its connection to the database. We can
reproduce this here.At this point the ADO components have not been used in
any way, but of course any built in initialisation will have taken place.
A separate test program without the ADO worked fine. Removing the ADO
components from the full application also worked fine.
Conclusion: the ADO initialisation component is causing the BDE problems but
only on XP SP2 (works fine on SP1, Win 2k etc etc). Checking MDAC shows
version 2.81 on the SP2's machine. Tried installing MDAC from Microsoft and
it says that it cannot as it is incompatible (presumably with SP2 - probably
a newer version).
Development environment is Delphi 5 enterprise on Win 2k Professional.
Any ideas?
Paul

Re:BDE/ADO interaction on XP SP2

Ah... now I begin to understand why I got BDE errors in SP2, but others
couldn't reproduce it. Yes, my apps mix ADO with BDE and I get
consistently within the Delphi IDE and my apps the error "Cannot load
driver".
Francisco
Paul Redstone wrote:
[...]

What database(s) are ADO and the BDE connecting to? Do they connect to the
same tables or databases at the same time?
I have a BDE app that uses ADO and DAO (both via COM automation directly -
not the Delphi ADO controls), and it works fine on xp sp2. In my app, the
BDE is connecting to Paradox 5/7 tables and ADO and DAO are connecting to an
Access 97 format database.
I have another app that uses the Delphi ADO controls, but not the BDE, and
that too works fine on XP sp2.
I'm using D5 Ent., BDE 5.2.0.2.

{smallsort}

Re:BDE/ADO interaction on XP SP2

Hi
Interesting.
They are connecting to the same database at the same time but this occurs
when ADO is not actually ocnnecting.
More details:
Application is GoldMine which uses the BDE (5.0.1).
Our App is a GoldMine add-on which uses the GM API. This latter has a call
to LoadBDE which is where it connects via the GoldMine API to GoldMine
tables.
Our App in Delphi5 has some ADO components but which are not used in most of
the programme. They do of course get initialised. When they are used they
are read only only.
App fails when LOADBDE is called, even if this is the first statement when
the first form is created.
Removing the ADO components fixes the problem but obviously means that some
parts of our App do not thne work.
Implication is that it is the ADO component *inclusion* which is the
problem - perhaps the initialisation code.
Others with GoldMine add-ons have seen the same and confirm it only occurs
with ADO and BDE.
ADO version on development machine was 2.7 and is 2.81 on XP SP2 - SP2
installs this. I think they all use the same msado15.dll DLL which is 2.7 on
development machine and 2.81 on the problem SP2 machines.
Remving SP2 fixes it but this probably regresses to an older version of
MDAC.
Paul

Paul Redstone wrote:
Application is GoldMine which uses the BDE (5.0.1).
this might not help directly, but..
any time the word "goldmine" appears on a BDE or Paradox forum, the discussion
quickly includes "seems to cause a conflict with anything else trying to use the
BDE in a normal manner".. what does "LoadBDE" try to do that a normal Delphi BDE
call doesn't do?
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:BDE/ADO interaction on XP SP2

Hi Steven
Not really - we have loads of clients using GoldMine and other BDE apps.
Most problems are BDE resources, number of sessions and a bit of tuning
(sharedmemlocation/size) normally sorts this out.
This is more fundamental I am sure.
Paul

--
Steven Green - Waldorf Maryland USA