Why not record the sessions?

I posted this as part of a reply in a different thread, but didn't get much
interest. Its something I think would be extemely beneficial to the Borland
community, so I'm really curious why this isn't being done (I can think of a
number of possible issues) and what others think.
Why not record the presentations and make DVD's available to purchase?
Maybe charge conferance attendee's a discounted price and make them
available online at a higher cost.
I'm going to the conferance as the single representative of an 8 man
programing team, so I'll have a lot of teaching to do when I get back. It
would be great to have recording's of the sessions I was in as well as some
of the sessions that I'll have to miss.
This is something that could be outsourced. I'm sure there are several video
companies in the area that would accept this business and do an outstanding
job.
I recognize that not all presenters would agree to having their
presentations sold, and legitimately so. Maybe the presenter offers the same
material in paid presentations in other places and fears this cutting into
their other revenues. Still, it would be great for the community to have as
many available as possible.
Or maybe Borland believes that there would not be enough sales to justify
the cost of recording the sessions, or that it would cut into the number of
people who actually attend the conferance.

Re:Why not record the sessions?

Why not record the presentations and make DVD's available to purchase?
This same question is raised every year. You can probably find several
discussions about it on the archives.
Or maybe Borland believes that there would not be enough sales to justify
the cost of recording the sessions, or that it would cut into the number
of
people who actually attend the conferance.
You mentioned some of the issues that have been raised. Some others that I
can remember off the top of my head are:
* It costs a lot of money to recording equipement in every room.
* It takes a lot of time and effort to put them together in presentation
format at the end.
* It is difficult to get recordings that are of high quality. Although it
is a lot easier than it was years ago due to better technology.
* Potential copyright issues.
* Some speakers aren't comfortable being recorded.
* It's one thing for Borland employees to state something at a conference,
but it's another to have it recorded. The speakers may not be as willing to
be open if they know they are being recorded.
David R.

Steve Wash wrote:
Why not record the presentations and make DVD's available to purchase?
I'm working on a solution for recording the presentations this year. It
finally might be feasible. We may not even require a DVD purchase for
them, but that certainly could be an option if I can pull it off.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

{smallsort}

Re:Why not record the sessions?

Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
Oh.. so further up the road we will enjoy Devcon live, on our screens
at home!
Yes, that is certainly a possibility. Might be build up the
infrastructure for that by next year.
--

John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
Steve Wash wrote:

>Why not record the presentations and make DVD's available to
>purchase?

I'm working on a solution for recording the presentations this year.
It finally might be feasible. We may not even require a DVD purchase
for them, but that certainly could be an option if I can pull it off.

Oh.. so further up the road we will enjoy Devcon live, on our screens at
home! No hotel needed, no air fares, no passport examination. Hm..
wonder if they will accept my drink tickets at the local store.. :)
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:Why not record the sessions?

John Kaster (Borland) in <433054cf$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >inscribed:
Steve Wash wrote:

>Why not record the presentations and make DVD's available to purchase?

I'm working on a solution for recording the presentations this year. It
finally might be feasible. We may not even require a DVD purchase for
them, but that certainly could be an option if I can pull it off.

That sounds fantastic!

Re:Why not record the sessions?

Thanks again for your response. I think its great that you are always
trying to improve things. There are definitely some concerns and issues as
you explore the possibility of providing the community this service.
Even if only a few of the sessions (preferably the most popular) were made
available, it would be fantastic.
Obviously, the conferance is a lot more then just the info presented in the
sessions, and I understand the concerns of those who would hate to see this
become a live web feed at the cost of the direct interaction, the face to
face networking, etc. The challenge for Borland is to provide more
information to the community but keep Borcon attractive in itself. I think
they are well up to such a challenge.
"John Kaster (Borland)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Steve Wash wrote:

>Why not record the presentations and make DVD's available to purchase?

I'm working on a solution for recording the presentations this year. It
finally might be feasible. We may not even require a DVD purchase for
them, but that certainly could be an option if I can pull it off.

--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Why not record the sessions?

Just my 2 cents, but I think the DVDs would make a great companion
(especially as a learning tool for the rest of the team), but should never
be considered a replacement for the conference. There are so many great
things about this conference that you can only experience in person.

news:433054cf$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Steve Wash wrote:
>
>>Why not record the presentations and make DVD's available to purchase?
>
>I'm working on a solution for recording the presentations this year. It
>finally might be feasible. We may not even require a DVD purchase for
>them, but that certainly could be an option if I can pull it off.
>
>--
>John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
>Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
>Get source: cc.borland.com
>If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Why not record the sessions?

I'm working on a solution for recording the presentations this year. It
finally might be feasible. We may not even require a DVD purchase for
them, but that certainly could be an option if I can pull it off.
That would be awesome!
David R.

Re:Why not record the sessions?

The DVD could of course include a segment on what's on at the conference.
It may well encourage lots of people to go next year.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Why not record the sessions?

I can't imagine an attendee thinking otherwise. However, I can imagine bean
counters (of various types) wondering ...

news:4331603b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Thanks again for your response. I think its great that you are always
>trying to improve things. There are definitely some concerns and issues
as
>you explore the possibility of providing the community this service.
>
>Even if only a few of the sessions (preferably the most popular) were
made
>available, it would be fantastic.
>
>Obviously, the conferance is a lot more then just the info presented in
>the
>sessions, and I understand the concerns of those who would hate to see
>this
>become a live web feed at the cost of the direct interaction, the face
>face networking, etc. The challenge for Borland is to provide more
>information to the community but keep Borcon attractive in itself. I
>think
>they are well up to such a challenge.
>

>"John Kaster (Borland)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:433054cf$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>Steve Wash wrote:
>>
>>>Why not record the presentations and make DVD's available to
purchase?

>>I'm working on a solution for recording the presentations this year. It
>>finally might be feasible. We may not even require a DVD purchase for
>>them, but that certainly could be an option if I can pull it off.
>>
>>--
>>John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
>>Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
>>Get source: cc.borland.com
>>If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Why not record the sessions?

Then, who is doing the recording? One need at least one additional
person, probably several per session for this.
it was asked in a past to allow attendee to record a session. It then can be
used to asseble a DVD.
For once many is carying Laptops and video stream could be saved.

Re:Why not record the sessions?

Hi Ingvar,
What do the speakers think? Are all of them comfortable with all they
say, any joke etc. being saved to a DVD, forever?
It would be good to know in advance, yes ;-)
Ingvar Nilsen
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Steve Wash wrote:
>Just my 2 cents, but I think the DVDs would make a great companion
>(especially as a learning tool for the rest of the team), but
>should never be considered a replacement for the conference.
I can't imagine an attendee thinking otherwise. However, I can
imagine bean counters (of various types) wondering ...
What do the speakers think? Are all of them comfortable with all they
say, any joke etc. being saved to a DVD, forever?
Then, who is doing the recording? One need at least one additional
person, probably several per session for this.
What about attendees? Is their anonymity taken care of?
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) wrote:
it was asked in a past to allow attendee to record a session.
That will still not be permitted. If an attendee wants to record
sessions to do something with them, he can host his own conference.