BDE and multiple profiles on Windows 2000

2004-02-09 08:21:49 AM
off-topic9
I have been happily working away on my Win2K laptop using Delphi 3 and BDE 5.2 for some time. When another user without admin rights tried to run the same apps she gets a 'Could no find : DbiInitFn' error and app stops. The BDE seems to be correctly installed in program files\Borland\Common Files\BDE\, and configfile01 and dllpath are set accordingly..
Such is life, just when everything is running along smoothly Windows snaps again. Anybody able to tell me how to install BDE for all users ?

Re:BDE and multiple profiles on Windows 2000

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
You need to make sure the other user has read access to the BDE
directory and to the BDE registry keys.

--
Bill (TeamB)
BDE directory is shared by everybody, with read / write rights.

Re:BDE and multiple profiles on Windows 2000

I think I found that "Full Control" rights were required for the BDE files -
but I could be wrong. You need to make sure that the share permissions AND
the file/folder permissions for the BDE files are set properly. For the
registry permissions, you can right click on the relevant key(s) in regedit,
and you'll see a permissions tab like you would for files/folders. You can
set the permissions for your users in that dialog.
When you install software as an administrator on an XP Pro machine, there is
a policy option about whether or not the Administrators group takes
ownership of any objects created. I found on my XP machine that this option
was turned off. That meant that my BDE registry keys were owned by a single
user (that was an admin) rather than the Administrators group. As a result,
I had to give ownership of my BDE registry keys to the administrators group
before I could change the permissions for the BDE registry keys. I don't
know if this will be an issue for you on Win2k or not too.
"Donal Doolan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>You need to make sure the other user has read access to the BDE
>directory and to the BDE registry keys.
>
>--
>Bill (TeamB)
>(TeamB cannot respond to questions received via email)

BDE directory is shared by everybody, with read / write rights.
How do you ensure the registry keys are visible ?
Thanks
Donal

{smallsort}