File sharing question

Wondering if the following scenario is possible with StarTeam...
We have two products, Product A and Product B. We would like to include
some files used to build Product A in the build for Product B. This is done
easily enough with sharing.
However, we don't always want the tip revision of the files from Product A.
This is also easily done by defining the configuration for each file to be
something other than floating.
So now, a new release of Product A has been achieved, and we want to update
the shared files in Product B to use the versions corresponding to those in
the new release of Product A.
Can this be done without manually updating the configuration for each file?
I tried using promotion states, and setting the configuration of the shared
files to a Release promotion state, such that promoting a label to Release
in Product A would cause a different revision to be shared into Product B.
This doesn't work. It seems that when choosing a configuration other than
floating (whether it be by label or by promotion state), the configuration
is actually set to the date/time of the corresponding label.
We want to be able to have simultaneous development in both products, but
only files in Product A that have passed QA will be used when building
Product B. Since promotions states are a great way to flag a particular
build label as being qualified, if would be great if this could also affect
the files being shared without having to manually update the configuration
of the shared files in Product B.
Is there anyway to achieve this behavior with StarTeam?
Thanks,
Matt

Re:File sharing question

Yes, is possible, but not recommended. Used to be a tool called "Component
Manager" from Starbase that would do this for you. Too tedious to do by
hand. No idea where to find the Component Manager today.
Sharing is expensive. Better to think of it as checking out the shared
component from its own project at a certain labeled config and then checking
out the "using" project at current config. (Like "prepare workspace" script
mentioned in the other thread about managing Products)