Re: Return of the BDE

2008-02-12 08:26:35 AM
off-topic10
JohnC wrote:
Anyone with any ideas?
Lots of people and they are all on the Firebird support list. For
information go to www.firebirdsql.org.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Re: Return of the BDE

All the documentation on Firebird says that the best way to install Firebird
is to run the installer - and that the installer will ask you whether you
want to install the Classic or the Super Server.
I may be blind, but I cannot find the installer!
I downloaded the zip and unzipped it. Something is running, but I have not
been able to create a database. Moreover, the Examples that the
documentation says should be there are not and so I don't know it I can
connect to an existing database. If I will need to uninstall it (in order
to reinstall it), I'm not sure how I can do that either!
Anyone with any ideas?
Thanks,
John

Re:Re: Return of the BDE

OK, I'll go elsewhere.
But, for the record, this is where it all started - with BDE.
John
"Bill Todd [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
JohnC wrote:

>Anyone with any ideas?

Lots of people and they are all on the Firebird support list. For
information go to www.firebirdsql.org.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Return of the BDE

JohnC wrote:
OK, I'll go elsewhere.
But, for the record, this is where it all started - with BDE.
All I am suggesting is that the best place to get answers about
Firebird is the Firebird support lists. The best place to get answers
about the BDE is here. As a general rule, the best place to get help
for any product is the support forms of whoever produces the product.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Re: Return of the BDE

In article <47aef62b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
Since I am interested in a single-user application that I can distribute
free of charge to certain individuals, I am greatly in need of a (free)
single-user desktop DB.

Here's the rub:
I want it to be able to be used with the BDS2006 database development
components.
Since I've been told over and over that BDE with Paradox tables should be
avoided, I'm perfectly willing to try something new. In particular,
dbExpress - but according to the documentation, it doesn't support any local
(free) databases. The documentation doesn't mention any of those listed
below.
Does it mention ODBC? If so, then it will work with them...

I am in need of good, concrete suggestions.

news:47ae3283$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Steven Green wrote:
>I don't understand what you mean. There are plenty of high quality SQL
>database servers available for small to medium sized installations at
>no cost including PostgreSQL, Firebird, SQL Server Express and
>Blackfish SQL.
>
>--
>Bill Todd (TeamB)

newsgroups if possible).

Re:Re: Return of the BDE

You are right.
John
"Bill Todd [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
As a general rule, the best place to get help
for any product is the support forms of whoever produces the product.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Re: Return of the BDE

"JohnC" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Bill: Before I got your response, I downloaded the following:
1. From CodeGear, the dbExpress driver for Firebird (Dbxlda.zip)
It took me a while to find what you were talking about.
I assume it's this:
cc.codegear.com/Item/24597
A few nit-picks and minor corrections:
A Firebird dbExpress driver "from CodeGear" has been much
requested, and we may see one in the future. I got all e{*word*277}d
when I thought this might be it.
However, this one is a beta of CoreLab's driver, _hosted_ on the
CodeGear site. Since CoreLab has been charging for their drivers,
I'm wondering whether this is something limited to trial use
somehow.
Also note that "Driver requires InterBase client to be installed
on the client side." To me, that suggests that deployment may not
be license-free.
Still, no harm in looking into it further. I'm only raising
questions, not claiming to be an authority on the matter.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Re: Return of the BDE

Rick:
I haven't had time to get to this yet, but it would be a bummer if one
needed IB in addition to Firebird.
Thanks,
John