Re: Help:Cannot access directory. WinXP machine can't access dataonWin98

2005-02-09 09:51:32 PM
off-topic4
Alexander Ilyin wrote:
Thank you for answer but:

Is this Windows license restriction?
no, it's functionality, as you have already seen.. it just doesn't work..
Why accessing from Win98s to Paradox tables stored on WinXPPro is so slow?
there are a number of possible reasons, depending on how your XP server is set
up.. google it, and you'll see a lot of information..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Re: Help:Cannot access directory. WinXP machine can't access dataonWin98

Steven Green wrote:
Alexander Ilyin wrote:

>Thank you for answer but:
>
>Is this Windows license restriction?

no, it's functionality, as you have already seen.. it just doesn't work..
very, very strange functionality looks like BDE bug.

>Why accessing from Win98s to Paradox tables stored on WinXPPro is so slow?

there are a number of possible reasons, depending on how your XP server is set
up.. google it, and you'll see a lot of information..
I just installed Windows XP Pro. Install BDE and my program... And it's
fail. The net with 4 Win98SE worked fine. Just new WinXP Pro has this
problem.
I know about 5 PC limit for MS net. But my net has max 5 computers
including WinXP.
Of course, I search google, google groups. All advices I found doesn't
help me. So I ask here. May be someone know the clue.
I even change hardware for WinXP. So this is exclusively
BDE+WinXPPro(+Win98) problem.

Re:Re: Help:Cannot access directory. WinXP machine can't access dataonWin98

This is not a BDE bug. It's an issue with the way windows handles file
sharing. If you try to share read//write access a file between multiple
users (i.e. using Paradox, dBase, or a non-BDE database like MS-Access using
ADO) you'll see the same problem. When you have a mix of NT-based on
9x-based computers, you need to use the NT-based machines as the file
servers. At least that's my understanding of the situation from reading a
number of posts in various places.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Help:Cannot access directory. WinXP machine can't access dataonWin98

C P wrote:
When you have a mix of NT-based and 9x-based computers, you need to use the
NT-based machines as the file servers. At least that's my understanding of
the situation from reading a number of posts in various places.
confirmed time after time, too..