Paradox on WinXP Mapped Drive

I am having a bad problem with Paradox tables on a
WinXP mapped drive. I am running a Delphi app on
a workstation, which accesses Paradox tables on
another machine by means of a mapped drive (F:).
When the workstation loses the network connection,
the app continues to function, apparently because
WinXP has cached the database to the local machine.
Then when we reestablish the network connection, Windows
gives the message "Synchronizing F: to F:". This is where the
problem begins, because if another user has changed the
data via another workstation, the index gets out of date.
Even worse, a subsequent rebuild ends up corrupting the database.
Any ideas or hints on how to prevent this are greatly appreciated!

Re:Paradox on WinXP Mapped Drive

Hi !
It's a fonctionnality of WXP & W2K.
Perso, i had stop the service in workstation-manager (in French : clic-droit
sur "Poste" + "Gérer" + "Services")
@-salutations

Ken Pfeiffer wrote:
When the workstation loses the network connection, the app continues
to function, apparently because WinXP has cached the database to the
local machine.
if the app itself is on the local machine, it *should* keep functioning
normally until it needs to do something that involves the shared data..
but the moment it needs something it can't find, it should come to a
screeching halt.. it *can't* cache shared Paradox data unless it's doing
some sort of transactional process that hasn't posted yet.. it *can*
cache local data that it shouldn't, if LOCAL SHARE is set to FALSE..
This is where the problem begins, because if another user has changed
the data via another workstation, the index gets out of date.
if the Windows "opp locks" and "write-behind caching" functions aren't
turned off, you can get these type of "table and index" errors even if
the network connection stays in place.. go to my second Links page, and
hit the link to the MS KB articles on this stuff..
Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Paradox on WinXP Mapped Drive

Perfect! Your site is a goldmine. Thanks, Steven!

--
Steven Green - Waldorf Maryland USA

Diamond Software Group
www.diamondsg.com/main.htm
Paradox Support & Sales - Corel CTech Paradox
Diamond Sports Gems
www.diamondsg.com/gemsmain.htm
Trading Cards and other Sports Memorabilia

Re:Paradox on WinXP Mapped Drive

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:
Win2k and XP have a feature that allows them to cache network files
locally. I think it is off by default but it may be on on your system.
the "write-behind" thing is buried way down the System trail on them..
without being in front of an XP machine, I can't even begin to try and
tell you where I found it..and by default it's ON.. you turn it off at
the machine level, so it *does* take care of all users.. but you need
full rights to do it, of course <sigh>