Re: Non-US articles on the bdn page

On 29 Jun 2006 21:45:53 -0700, "JED" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>And ... you want to have this suppressed even if we make it convenient
>to do something like load the Google auto translation page?

If the title isn't in english, yes (I want it suppressed). If the title
is in english then I wouldn't mind it listed.
I used to think that linguists are people who worked on languages.
Now I think a new use of it would be, people who discriminate based on
languages.
Linguist! (Yay, I'm a neologist! ;o)

Re:Re: Non-US articles on the bdn page

Here's my thoughts on these new bdn posts:
BDS does not handle international language and looks terrible when it
display these japanese titles.
English users will have no use at all for posts only posted in japanese as
an example.
When a BDN user is logged in, you have information about what languages he
prefer. With this information it should be possible to filter the BDN posts
and not show posts that contains none of his preferred languages.
Today it looks like the spam in my mailbox, and I do not like spam (and this
spam I cannot delete).
Clean and simple with only useful information provided is the way I like it.
Kind regards, Atle.

At 10:08:32, 06.07.2006, Atle Smelvær wrote:
Here's my thoughts on these new bdn posts:

BDS does not handle international language and looks terrible when it
display these japanese titles.
What do you mean with "does not handle international language"? I'd say
it handles different languages pretty well.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."

{smallsort}

Atle Smelvær wrote:
When a BDN user is logged in, you have information about what languages he
prefer.
No we don't. We have information about what *language* (singular, no s
on the end) he prefers. That distinction is important. How do we
decide that some German speaker doesn't want to see Japanese or French
but might want to see Italian and Russian?
We don't have that information, and hardcoding a set of similar
languages is a) hardcoding and b) guesswork. I have no way of knowing
what language you studied in college. Adding some kind of preference
list to the user account settings is a good idea, but it's not part of
the current capabilities.
--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]

Re:Re: Non-US articles on the bdn page

How do we decide that some German speaker doesn't want to see
Japanese or French but might want to see Italian and Russian?
For once user can choose to see ONLY in ONE language. This implementation in
simple enough.
Just by adding LANGUAGE filter as a parameter for URL doesn't hurt anybody.
You already have all information.
But to see ?2?????????????! on the page is somewhat odd...
Note #1. I have nothing against multi-language support by web-site engine,
but a mix of several languages on the same page is inconvinient.
Ability of OPT OUT from multi-language support is very well needed.
Note #2. And with current support for RSS feeds they are corrupted -
<title>BDS???????(?????)?????????</title>wouldn't tel you anything but will
push other articles

"Atle Smelvær" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
BDS does not handle international language and looks terrible when
it display these japanese titles.
IMHO, bdn.borland.com/ looks very nice with these titles and
abstracts.
bdn.borland.com/article/33552 , say, looks very nice, too - the
only thing that looks weird is the quote by Ruud Schmeitz at the
bottom; there seems to be an encoding problem in the comment editor.
Now Japanese isn't really an international language (like Norwegian,
it's almost exclusively spoken in Japan (modulo recent migration)),
whereas English, French, German and Spanish are - and I'm sure they
are all perfectly supported. As for Japanese, I think the support is
ok (as in a good start) - Japanese contributions can be written and
read.
English users will have no use at all for posts only posted in
japanese as an example.
Nor do US users or I, but it might be useful to Japanese readers, and
how bad can that be?
When a BDN user is logged in, you have information about what
languages he prefer. With this information it should be possible to
filter the BDN posts and not show posts that contains none of his
preferred languages.
That sounds a nice feature for the future.

Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
the
only thing that looks weird is the quote by Ruud Schmeitz at the
bottom; there seems to be an encoding problem in the comment editor.
Yes, comments don't support unicode, yet.
--
Leonel

Re:Re: Non-US articles on the bdn page

Don't interpret this wrong. I was talking about the newsfeed on BDS default
page.
Look inside the borland.public.attachments section for a picture (same
subject as this)
-Atle

Re:Re: Non-US articles on the bdn page

No we don't. We have information about what *language* (singular, no s on
the end) he prefers. That distinction is important. How do we decide
that some German speaker doesn't want to see Japanese or French but might
want to see Italian and Russian?

We don't have that information, and hardcoding a set of similar languages
is a) hardcoding and b) guesswork. I have no way of knowing what language
you studied in college. Adding some kind of preference list to the user
account settings is a good idea, but it's not part of the current
capabilities.
First off: BDN as it is now looks just terrible. Me as a english reader
don't like watching BDN anymore because 50% of all posts that are listed are
now japanese. These signs means shit for me and usually I avoid pages like
this.
Second. It's not that big a deal to add more profile settings for the users
if we need that. Another better solution is to use the request information
where you see what languages the browser is set to prefer. My browser does
not contain any preferences for japanese, only english and norwegian.
I really hope they clean up BDN very soon, because it looks just like {*word*99}
right now.
-Atle

Re:Re: Non-US articles on the bdn page

FWIW, I have visited the BDN pages a few times over the last few weeks,
and after trying to find the "filter out other languages" option I came
here to see what was up.
Right now it is hard to find articles I can actually read, and I'll not be
bothering to waste my time reviewing BDN again until I can filter. Nice
idea, but a big time waster for most people I'm sure.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Re: Non-US articles on the bdn page

Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB] wrote:
Yes. I suggest two small changes though.
You got it. :)
--
Leonel