BDE and microsoft access 2000

I am currently using Delphi 4 and my data was in Paradox tables.
I have a large number of record and doing line by line calculation on every
record. I am getting access to the table via TTable objects in Delphi.
I am trying to move my data into an access 2000 database.
In the BDE, I have created an alias to my access database via an OBDC
driver. The native MSACCESS driver doesn't work and generate a "general SQL
error"
Everything went fine excepte that I am getting very bad performance
problems.
How can I improve my performance? Why is the native MSACCESS driver not
working?
Thanks for your help
P. Coville
France

Re:BDE and microsoft access 2000

I believe the native driver only supports Access 97. If you want better
performance with Access you should use ADO rather than the BDE, but I think
ADO components weren't included in Delphi until version 5. Also the
built-in ADO components were included with D5 Enterprise, but you had to pay
extra for them if you had D5 pro. I think there are some free (or cheap)
3rd party components that support ADO in Delphi (TBetterAdo or something
like that if I recall correctly).
ADO allows you to use OLEDB to connect to the Access file which gives much
better performance than ODBC. In general, OLEDB drivers are supposed to be
faster than ODBC.

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >a écrit dans le message de news:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I am trying to move my data into an access 2000 database.

Why? If you are going to Access 2000 or higher you should abandon the
BDE and convert your app to ADO. See
community.borland.com/article/0,1410,28688,00.html

>In the BDE, I have created an alias to my access database via an OBDC
>driver. The native MSACCESS driver doesn't work and generate a "general
SQL
>error"
>
>Everything went fine excepte that I am getting very bad performance
>problems.

Without knowing what operations are slow and more about your
environment it is impossible to say.
I am under windows 98 with Delphi 4 using TTABLE components and going
through one table using Next methode (my table has 20 K records). On the
other end I search data in a other TTABLE via Setkey/GotoKey methods.
I there a way not to improve performance and not to upgrade my delphi 4.

>How can I improve my performance? Why is the native MSACCESS driver not
>working?

Because the BDE native Access driver uses DAO. Starting with Access
2000 Microsoft said the recommended technology is ADO so Borland added
ADO components to Delphi.

--
Bill (TeamB)
Thanks for your help

{smallsort}

Re:BDE and microsoft access 2000

It's on my local hard drive
"Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >a écrit dans le message de news:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Is the database on a file server or your local hard drive?

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:BDE and microsoft access 2000

KDao
Mick
"Bill Todd (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
The only thing I can suggest is change databases or try using ADO.
Since you are using D4 you will have to find ADO components that work
with D4 and that may be difficult.

--
Bill (TeamB)