D8 order saga - D2 doesn't qualify for an upgrade

I've attended Borcon this year and have ordered a copy of D8 (with D7)
upgrade. I've ordered it for a partner of mine who has his own Inc. I have a
spare full copy of D6 that I no longer need and the plan was to give D6 to
him so that he qualifies for D8 upgrade.
Well, it turns out I've registered my D6 copy already and there is
absolutely no way to transfer the license to him (I've called customer
service twice). OK... so I go ahead and purchase a copy of D2 prior to
Borcon from a former co-worker of mine expecting that Win32 version of
Delphi would qualify me for an upgrade (as it has been the case before).
Unfortunately, Borland's shop lists D3-D7 as qualified for an upgrade but
not D2. Is that a typo and if not, why has it been excluded from the
qualified product list? Any help from Team B member or Borland people would
appreciated. Thanks.
--
Delphi Guy

Re:D8 order saga - D2 doesn't qualify for an upgrade

I've just realized that this is probably a wrong group to post to. Will post
again to non-technical.
--
Delphi Guy
"Delphi Guy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

There is few things impossible in this world (at least now), like me having
a Doppler radar in the forehead or my wife speaking fluent Dutch (though it
might be possible in the near future). Transferring the license is not one
of these impossible things - it's just Borland who "cares" so much for his
customers, is so personally and closely bound to them, that it never lets
them get rid of the Borland stuff, even if they are conscious, mature and
responsible people who know the best how to take care of their property.
... just fed up with this software license bullshit ...
Tom

{smallsort}

Re:D8 order saga - D2 doesn't qualify for an upgrade

... just fed up with this software license bullshit ...
Software licences go back years. I remember reading about people being
unable to transfer the Data General Operating System 20 years ago, and I
don't think it was a new issue then. People seem to think they are buying
CDs, but they aren't, they are buying a licence to use software and have
been for decades.
Oliver Townshend

Delphi Guy wrote:
OK... so, I go ahead and purchase a copy of D2 prior to
Borcon from a former co-worker of mine expecting that Win32 version of
Delphi would qualify me for an upgrade (as it has been the case before).

Unfortunately, Borland's shop lists D3-D7 as qualified versions for an
upgrade but not D2. Is that a typo and if not, why has it been excluded
from the upgrade qualified product list? Any help from Team B members
or Borland people would be appreciated. Thanks.
My view on it: you should perhaps have informed yourself before buying
D2. If D2 doesn't qualify, it doesn't qualify. Nothing TeamB or Borland
DevRel can do about that, sorry.
But AFAIK you *can* transfer the D6 license to someone else, despite what
the person(s) on the telephone said.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Sometimes when reading Goethe I have the paralyzing suspicion that he is

Tomasz Waraksa wrote:
There is few things impossible in this world (at least now), like me
having a Doppler radar in the forehead or my wife speaking fluent Dutch
(though it might be possible in the near future). Transferring the
license is not one of these impossible things - it's just Borland who
"cares" so much for his customers, is so personally and closely bound
to them, that it never lets them get rid of the Borland stuff, even if
they are conscious, mature and responsible people who know the best how
to take care of their property.

... just fed up with this software license bullshit ...
D2 came out I don't know when (96? 97?), but it was a long time ago. How
far back should Borland go and see it as a valid product for update?
Should I be able to upgrade because I once bought Sidekick in 1985 (yes,
that is over the top, I know)?
Borland sets a limit to the products that qualify for upgrade, and that
is OK. You can get legal copies of (very, very obsolote) D2 very cheap
these days, so why should they entitle you to a full upgrade?
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"I think 'Hail to the Chief' has a nice ring to it."

Re:D8 order saga - D2 doesn't qualify for an upgrade

Vassilis Devletoglou wrote:
Not quite true. As I remember a few years ago there was a ruling from a
Canada court that software is property and property is transferable.
And so is D6. Despite what customer service said, D6 can be sold, even
after it was registered.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know."

"Oliver Townshend" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>... just fed up with this software license bullshit ...

Software licences go back years. I remember reading about people being
unable to transfer the Data General Operating System 20 years ago, and I
don't think it was a new issue then. People seem to think they are buying
CDs, but they aren't, they are buying a licence to use software and have
been for decades.

Oliver Townshend

Re:D8 order saga - D2 doesn't qualify for an upgrade

Not quite true. As I remember a few years ago there was a ruling from a
Canada court that software is property and property is transferable.
How vague. I don't propose to even respond to this point without a
citation, or at least a reference to an article which discusses the case.
Oliver Townshend

Re:D8 order saga - D2 doesn't qualify for an upgrade

"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)"
D2 came out I don't know when (96? 97?), but it was a long time ago.
It was 1996. As fast as possible for them to move to 32 bit.

Martin Waldenburg wrote:
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:
>How far back should Borland go....

I got a copy D1 as an upgrade to TP(1) for CPM,
but there was another Borland then.
I got it as upgrade to BP7. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"#3 pencils and quadrille pads."

Re:D8 order saga - D2 doesn't qualify for an upgrade

Tomasz,
There is few things impossible in this world (at least now), like me
having
a Doppler radar in the forehead or my wife speaking fluent Dutch (though
it
might be possible in the near future). Transferring the license is not one
of these impossible things
not to mention that keeping you from transferring said license is, well,
non-legal, in most civilized states, including the EU. iow, you can just
ignore that term in the license, because it's simply invalid and does not
legally apply.
--
marc hoffman
RemObjects Software, Inc.

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:
How far back should Borland go....
I got a copy D1 as an upgrade to TP(1) for CPM,
but there was another Borland then.
Martin

"Oliver Townshend" wrote in message
>Not quite true. As I remember a few years ago there was a ruling from a
>Canada court that software is property and property is transferable.

How vague. I don't propose to even respond to this point without a
citation, or at least a reference to an article which discusses the case.

Oliver Townshend

Mybe it helps.
I don't know not English nor Law to judge for myself.
cr.yp.to/softwarelaw.html

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:
Martin Waldenburg wrote:
>I got a copy D1 as an upgrade to TP(1) for CPM,
I got it as upgrade to BP7. <g>
After TP2 I switched to C++.
With D1 back to Pascal,
partly because Borland C++
above 3.1 was such an anoying experience.
Martin