Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

2004-08-31 07:50:11 AM
off-topic14
Oh, ok
You do not see my point here.
We are not consumers here. We do not buy any services from Borland.
And I am not against "price discrimination" or "market segmentation". It is
just
there are areas where it is applicable and where it is not.
I do not think about professional conference as a place to make profits.
Main intention would be to express company vision, advertise products, show
solutions and only in a last place to make profits. I would say what making
profit here is not applicable, it is more of covering expenses.
Services and goods are not the same as professional events and
presentations, I would think... and I
have nothing against price discounts for products available during
conference. But conference by itself is different.
Ok, I am going to rest here.
DISCLAIMER. I am not trying to say anything bad about Borland, I just worry
about
expectation to be set for next BorCon.
"Captain Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>wrote in message
"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <>wrote in message
<41334ee3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
>Principles which are working in some marketing campaigns will
>bring bad publicity to another. I thing we get more harm here.

This process of charging different prices for different groups of
consumers
(early birds versus procrastinators for example) is a time-honored
tradition in
marketing and economics called "price discrimination" or "market
segmentation".
It is a way to maximize profits by increasing the number and type of
customers
that are willing to buy the product. Companies do this all the time and
increase profits by doing so. Telephone companies charge different rates
depending on when you call. Airlines charge different prices for otherwise
identical seats depending on when and how you buy the tickets. The local
supermarket offers coupons in the SuperSaver paper. And so on.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.255

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <>wrote in message
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
Services and goods are not the same as professional events and
presentations, I would think...
A conference IS a service.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.255

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

Ingvar Nilsen wrote:
This is not the case. The conference fee is not on sale. The full
price coexists with the auctions, which in some cultures (mine for
example) is regarded a bit unfair.
To use your illustration, the same computer goes for both $1495 and
$750 at the same time, in a seemingly random manner.

Nobody would have complained if Borland dropped the price for all,
that would have been fair and could have been defended with "market
forces".
That is the way eBay works. Many times you can find the same product
on sale on eBay as well as elsewhere, even from the same company. So
you can purchase it outside of eBay for a fixed price, or try your luck
on eBay for a better price, but you don't know where the price will
end, or if you will be out-bid at the last second.
Unfortunately all this whining and complaining will result at most in
Borland not offering creative promotions for conference attendance in
the future.
While I can understand the frustration in not getting the best deal
possible (I've been there before) I would have to say that is the way
the cookie crumbles. How do you think those who got in on the second
auction feel? They paid more then the first. . .
Many times with my son I will offer a piece of cake to him and he will
take it, and then I offer one to his younger brother and he comes
unglued because it looks a little bigger. He has a hard time
comprehending that his piece of cake, that he was happy to receive, is
still a good piece of cake even if his brother may have gotten a little
more. He has even thrown a fit to the point of not even eating his
original cake.
You might not want to think about the fact that the speakers get to go
for free.
Let us all just eat our cake and be happy for our fellow developers
that may have gotten an even better deal this time. Let us
congratulate them instead of complaining. We can all enjoy our cake.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) wrote:
1. people will wait for auction
Maybe what Borland could do next year is stop offering normal priced
admissions about a month before the conference starts, and then only
offer them in small batches on eBay. Since everyone waited to buy
their admissions until the auctions then the admissions would go sky
high! Borland would make tons of money and they could afford some
really good advertising for Delphi.
2. professional presentation cannot be put in the same row as Brodway
show - do you see Microsoft, SUN, IBM doing this?
Borland is usually an innovater. Besides, eBay is a sponsor of BorCon
so it is good publicity for eBay.
3. you are buying airline tickets for lower price
I get most of my airline tickets on Priceline for a lot less then you
pay through your travel agent? I get the same service you do when you
fly. Do you hate me too?
4. Do you buy a car for a MSRP from dealer? I would not... Sorry...
so I will wait for end of the month/season or find another dealer in
100 miles radius.
See my first comment about the suggested pricing structure for next
year. . . .
Nothing personal, I am just playing devils advocate, and I happen to
think the eBay auctions were a great idea.

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) wrote:
I do not think about professional conference as a place to make
profits.
I am sure Borland would just like to break even. Conferences like
these are incredibly expensive to put on. You might be surprised.
Main intention would be to express company vision,
advertise products, show solutions and only in a last place to make
profits.
The best way to express vision is to get a lot of attendies. The best
way to get more attendies is to come up with creative ways to market
and sell the admissions.
Heck, if they reached a certain point it might even be in their best
interest to give admissions away just to get more people to the
conference. Hope that wouldn't make you too upset for someone elses
good fortune.

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

Tom Reiertsen wrote:
Well, I wasn't able to register before the "early-bid" discount
period ended this year and had to purchase the registration at full
price. If this happens again next year, then I will most certainly
wait till a week or so just to see if any eBay auctions or similar
appears. I would assume that if I'm not alone about this, it might be
a problem for the planners if there's a rush of late attendee
registrations.
You might be right. People might wait until the last minute looking
for a good deal at the auctions. Hopefully Borland will capitalise on
this by discontinuing normal registrations and only letting us get them
via eBay. Those prices could get really high!
Maybe eBay won't be a sponsor next year. Maybe it will be a boxing
glove company and we will have to meet each-other and box it out, with
the winner getting the admission.
Or maybe a gun manufacture will sponsor next year. We will do a shoot
out old west style, meeting in the middle of the street at high noon.
Our hands hovering over our guns, waiting for the other guy to twitch.
The possibilities are endless.
Or we could just hedge our bets and go for the early bird discount.
Maybe they will offer jackets for early birds again. I like jackets.

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

Jim McKeeth wrote:
That is the way eBay works.
???? What has that with this to do?
Unfortunately all this whining and complaining will result at most in
Borland not offering creative promotions for conference attendance
in the future.
I really doubt this, and BTW - haven't seen any "whining".
While I can understand the frustration in not getting the best deal
possible (I've been there before) I would have to say that is the way
the cookie crumbles. How do you think those who got in on the
second auction feel?
Very very bad. But from informal sources, Borland will compensate this
with beer in San Jose.
Many times with my son I will offer a piece of cake to him and he
will take it, and then I offer one to his younger brother and he
comes unglued because it looks a little bigger. He has a hard time
comprehending that his piece of cake, that he was happy to receive,
is still a good piece of cake even if his brother may have gotten a
little more.
Is this a quote from the Big Book? <g>
You might not want to think about the fact that the speakers get to
go for free.
WHAT????
Let us all just eat our cake and be happy for our fellow developers
that may have gotten an even better deal this time.
Never ever, some day...
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) wrote:
I do not think about professional conference as a place to make
profits.
Why not?
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

I do not think about professional conference as a place to make profits.
My understanding is that Borland like to break even on their conference,
but it is not treated as a profit-making venture. It is extremely
expensive to do a conference like this (I've seen the numbers for a
**much** smaller conference, and they're scary).
I think you're getting a bit steamed up about nothing really. eBay is a
sponsor of the conference this year. Using eBay to sell a handful (and
it is only a handful) of tickets should therefore not come as a real
surprise, especially considering that eBay are not particularly oriented
towards software developers. It seems a very sensible idea for a
promotion. Also consider that Borland and eBay may not have thought of
this idea until recently.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.co.uk

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

3. you are buying airline tickets for lower price - you might expect less
service, etc... We couldn't possible see it here
If you were to go around a plane with 200 people on it asking what they
paid, you're likely to get 50 different answers. Airlines play with
pricing all the time (and I mean literally all the time - they
constantly twiddle the numbers. Pricing algorithms for airline seats are
very complicated.)

Jim Cooper wrote:
My understanding is that Borland like to break even on their
conference, but it is not treated as a profit-making venture.
Actually, I suspect that they are satisfied if it breaks even, but
they'd be delighted if it were profitable. The notion that a business
would purposefully not make a profit where one /could/ be made seems
silly to me.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re:Re: 10 more BorCon 2004 admissions

Actually, I suspect that they are satisfied if it breaks even, but
they'd be delighted if it were profitable.
I think that's pretty much what I was saying :-)
The notion that a business would purposefully not make a profit where
one /could/ be made seems silly to me.
There are a lot of things Borland could do to cut costs if they really
wanted to make a profit. I've never had the impression that making a
profit was the point of the exercise.

Jim Cooper wrote:
There are a lot of things Borland could do to cut costs if they really
wanted to make a profit.
I'm not sure about that.
--

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:
Jim Cooper wrote:

>There are a lot of things Borland could do to cut costs if they
>really wanted to make a profit.

I'm not sure about that.
T-shirt cannon rental. Gorilla costume custom tailoring. Led Zepplin
needle drop royalties. Advisory board massage and manicure squad. Etc.
-Craig

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:

T-shirt cannon rental. Gorilla costume custom tailoring. Led
Zepplin needle drop royalties. Advisory board massage and manicure
squad. Etc.

-Craig
With Nick on the advisory board, he might not think it's possible for
the massages to be cut. :-)
--
Phyllis