different Project/View question

I think I know the answer to this but I just would like to
confirm it.
My impression is that because a view label is a snapshot of
the latest tip of all folders/files in the view, that a view
label can also be referred to as a Baseline (in standard CM
terminology)?
That would also mean that all files in the view constitute the
"configuration". And from that, I would infer that a view
only supports one "deliverable" where that deliverable could
be (depending on the environment) an executable program or a
library or a DLL or whatever that could be delivered to
something else. One view = one configuration = one deliverable.
That's the StarTeam model?
And then from the Project standpoint, the views are really just
suppose to the various branches (depending on your branching
strategy) of that same configuration?
This is related to my other question but I just wanted to frame
it as a new question with a different focus.
Thanks.

Re:different Project/View question

I agree that one-deliverable-per-view is a good way to think about it.
Label = Baseline yes for usre.
I would differe alittle bit on "configuration". A view can have many
configurations, one of which is the tips (a.k.a. "current") configuation.
The other configurations are previous to current/tips and are definied most
typically by labels. So, I would say that a view holds a deliverable, but
also represents various historical configurations of that deliverable.
Sound sensible?
"Ron Summers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

[...]

I agree. I didn't state the point clearly. I should have
switched the parts:
one view = one deliverable = configurations related to that
deliverable only (which includes the historical configurations)
You can't have two deliverables in the same view and try to
control them with view labels. Well you can, but that is not
what was intended and so you have to work around the system.
Or at least all deliverables have meant to be part of the same
"release". They can't be independent. At least, it doesn't
work that way very well.
Thanks for your response.

news:44523599$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I think I know the answer to this but I just would like to
>confirm it.
>
>My impression is that because a view label is a snapshot of
>the latest tip of all folders/files in the view, that a view
>label can also be referred to as a Baseline (in standard CM
>terminology)?
>
>That would also mean that all files in the view constitute the
>"configuration". And from that, I would infer that a view
>only supports one "deliverable" where that deliverable could
>be (depending on the environment) an executable program or a
>library or a DLL or whatever that could be delivered to
>something else. One view = one configuration = one deliverable.
>That's the StarTeam model?
>
>And then from the Project standpoint, the views are really just
>suppose to the various branches (depending on your branching
>strategy) of that same configuration?
>
>This is related to my other question but I just wanted to frame
>it as a new question with a different focus.
>
>Thanks.

{smallsort}